• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Going to lose my overwinter project without some help

OK so I have aphids like super bad I have used both organic and non organic stuff on them and the are only multiplying there are hundreds of them and I think i got them all and in a few days they are back any body got any good ways to get rid of them for good? Please I am willing to try almost anything. What about putting the plants outside for a few hours to cool the aphids down a bit it's like 40 outside someone has to have a good idea please?

So far my battle with overwintered plants and aphids is that you have to check the plants every day. Squish them, spray them off, even cut the plants way back to get rid of the leafy greens. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, but until then, enjoy spending time with your plants because you kinda have to.

I have tried lots of things and the best one that has worked for me is Confidor. I don't know if you have that brand where you live but I had a massive infestation in my grow room (almost to the point that you couldn't see the leaves) and after to lots of spraying they disappeared and have not come back again.
The other thing is that you can get a parasitic wasp to eat them but you would have to look for a company that supplies them.

The one other thing that I have heard from someone but have not tried is that you should not water your plants for a few days until they start to wilt and apparently this can kill the aphids too.

I hope this helps a little. I hate aphids!!!

I wouldn't let your plants dry out at all, I find pests usually always attack the dry and weak plants first.
I'd take your plants outside and spray them real good with a garden hose, and then treat the soil and the rest of the plant with a soap solution. Then keep a close eye on them and keep them away from other houseplants
For severe infestations, the only thing that works for me is ladybugs but they may be difficult to buy this time of year.

Where do you keep your peppers for overwintering? If it's a garage or shed, I'd recommend a "no pest strip". Hang that thing up with your peppers in an enclosed area and it should kill the bugs. You can get a NPS at most hardware stores.

Since you said it is still kind of warm outside in the 40's. I'd take them outside and hose them off really good. It is easier to spray the plant outside then it is in the tub. You need to do this while you still can. A few spray downs should help reduce their numbers significantly. Just remember you have to be persistent, as they will reproduce quickly, you already have a major infestation that will take some work to bring under control.

I had the same problem with a few plants that I grew in a closet to get a head start before putting them outside and the ONLY thing that worked was buying a few hundred lady bugs and keeping the door shut and lights off for a few days. Since it was essentially a closed off area the hungry lady bugs pretty much ate the plants clean. After a few days I put the lights back on and some of them died, some tried to get out and I just let them free, but I say at least 100 or more made the plants there home and reproduced which kept the infestation in check until they where ready to go outside. Just to be on the safe side I bought another few hundred the day I put them outside and put them on the plants as well. All in all I think I spent $15.00 on all 3 bags of lady bugs and the only work I had to do was open the bag.

Good luck with anything else as I tried just about everything and wasted a lot of time and money.

LGHT said:
I had the same problem with a few plants that I grew in a closet to get a head start before putting them outside and the ONLY thing that worked was buying a few hundred lady bugs and keeping the door shut and lights off for a few days. Since it was essentially a closed off area the hungry lady bugs pretty much ate the plants clean. After a few days I put the lights back on and some of them died, some tried to get out and I just let them free, but I say at least 100 or more made the plants there home and reproduced which kept the infestation in check until they where ready to go outside. Just to be on the safe side I bought another few hundred the day I put them outside and put them on the plants as well. All in all I think I spent $15.00 on all 3 bags of lady bugs and the only work I had to do was open the bag.

Good luck with anything else as I tried just about everything and wasted a lot of time and money.

Holy Cow! Hundreds of ladybugs loose in your closet? I wouldnt be able to sleep at night :lol:

Here's an idea.. you can get a box big enough to fit your plants in (or several boxes for multiple plants) then cover the top with a screen. Home Depot sells rolls of window screen 36" x 25 Feet for $22 (can be ordered online too) or just use an old window screen if you have one laying around. You can release the ladybugs in the box with the screen top keeping them in. They'll have a field day in there and you can probably even get some light to your plants that way too (just dont put the light too close to the screen). If its warm enough outdoors you can put the boxes outside for some sun to shine in.

Back