• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Going with nose and taste buds

Ferment number 2... 1/2 pound red fresnos, 6 habs and 1 orange bell. Halved the peppers, de-seeded them, coarse chopped the bell and into an airlock jar with 2% salt by weight and water to cover. Weighed down with glass pebbles. About day 4 the surface had white film forming. After a week it had completely capped the surface and had bubble bumps. Figured it was yeast so left it alone.

This morning I opened it up, skimmed off the white and tasted a bell chunk. Didn't taste off so the hunks went into the vitamix and I whirred it into oblivion. This chit rocks. Added a splash of champagne vinegar and I'm in love. Flavor, texture, heat but not blistering... Yum.

Does processing first materially change the results? The whole chunk method is sure easy. Anybody here done a side by side ferment to observe differences?

I don't think your results would be all that much different if you blended prior to fermenting.  If you're happy and things turned out well then I'd be inclined to tell you not to fix what ain't broke...

:)

I think the only difference would be that the chunks take longer to ferment. Running it through a food processor and making small chunks means more surface for the LAB to attack at one time.

How long did you let it go, read like 4 days.

Back