• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Goji - worth to keep'em ?

I have four Goji Berry plants, they are about 5 years old now, I get hundreds of berries still not enough to juice, just like B.C. said, I dry them and put them in everything, they are sweeter dried than when they are raw, the plants are weedy looking and grow into a wild bush, I cut mine back every two years two get stronger growth. Certain Birds will strip the plants clean also mice will eat the berries. If you have lots of space they make good plants, the berries belong in the super food group. There are lots of better plants that produce better and are also in the super food group that can be grown in a Half wine barrel.
Also if you plant them in the soil and dig them up you will want to get all the roots as they will sprout plants from the roots. I like my Elderberry bushes better and I have a source where I can pick enough to juice. One Green World has a lot of edible landscape plants, Goji is also known as Wolf Berry although some claim that the two plants are different.

I have about 60-70 goji seedlings now but since i planted the berries in the soil they are very close together where the berry was planted. When is the best time to seperate the seedlings. Did a google search of it and found nothing but companies selling goji cuttlings.

Hi guys

Since i consider myself a "big goji berry fan", i 'll give you my piece of advice.

First and most important!

There are 2 major kinds of goji berry plants, depending on what you really want: just a beautiful green fence for your garden or fruits (berries)?

As you can understand, the first one is a goji berry becoming a bush, the second one is a goji berry plant becoming a tree.

See the difference here and Take a look at the leaves

Goji berry - bush You are not gonna get any fruits. Some fruits will appear after 3-4 years, not so tasty.

akatallilo1.jpg

Goji berry - bush
akatallilo2.jpg

Goji berry - Tree You are gonna get a few fruits from the first year, a lot of fruits after 3-4 years
katallilo1.jpg

Goji berry - Tree
katallilo.jpg

Goji berry plants with the small rounded leaves are not supposed to produce fruits. They may produce, but few and a bit of sour in taste.

Goji berry plants with long and narrow leaves (imagine olive tree leaves but more greener), produce a lot of fruits, very sweet taste, even from the first year (although the plant will produce its maximum quantity from the third year and after).

Unfortunately, most of the nurseries out there sell the goji berry "bushes", since these plants are very easy to grow, and even a branch can make roots if in touch with soil.

The easiest way to make your own plants, is just soak a dried fruit in water for some minutes (maybe an hour) and sow it directly. It needs warm temperature (26-30 degrees celcius) and takes only 3-7 days to sprout. If you start sprouts early, indoor, in 8-9 months you'll get your first fruits (usually middle September - October).

When the plant reach about 150cm, just cut the top to make it grow in sides.

Here is my first harvest, last October, plant is only 8 months old, it's the same showing in picture 4:

goji1w.jpg

During winter, the plant stops growing and drops all the leaves. When spring breaks, it starts growing like crazy!

Suitable for most places and zones, from -10celcius to 45 celcius. Medium water, full or partial sun. Branches with fruits must cut off, since they won't produce fruits next year. No special needs in soil ph and nutrients.

That's all for now.

Thanks for checking.

UPDATE:

Here are some more sprouts (seeds sown just before christmas, actually they are 25-28 days old) waiting their turn to go in bigger pots. Sprouts goes under lights until 3-4 real leaves and then i put them outside in the cold, protected from rain though.

pa150033.jpg

pa150035.jpg

hey guys,,,, anyone here could send me some goji seeds... would love to put them around my orchard just to see if they can tolerate Quebec winter and also love those small dried berry! very healthy

contact me in PM if you have some seeds to share or give!

locopao, which source sells seeds for the tree goji with the narrow leaves? Thanks for the info btw.

locopao, which source sells seeds for the tree goji with the narrow leaves? Thanks for the info btw.

i can send you some if you want.

I don't really know any source, cause i usually get mine from my own fruits or from a friend (pro-grower).

If you have just bought any dried goji berries, you can try these (you can see if it's tree or bush immediatly after first couple of true leaves). Just soak a couple of fruits in a glass of water for about 30 minutes, open it and get the seeds from the inside.

Anyway, i can send you some, just let me know.

______
manolo

you can go to your local wholefoods market and they usually have them in the bulk section. they will sprout within a week of planting in soil

Wow. Do they really sell them there?!! I bought mine from tradewindsfruit and grew true. Or home depot sometimes sells them. I also got one from there.

i told my dad about them and he decided to buy some... we ended up with both the tree and bush. the thing that came with the bush said the leaves on it are just as valuable as the berries and are a staple of some asian diets; they can also be used in tea.

Back