Gondaliya Marcha

Friends,

As most of you know, I was off Hot peppers for about 6 months due to health problems.

I broke the Fast with a Bang.

I had missed getting my hands on GONDALIYA MARCHA a very old variety of very hot nature (Hotter than Habs)  during my last visit to India.

Surprisingly, I got them here in Austin when I visited a function in an Indian farm where these were growing.

I was offered some of the peppers which I fried in oil and salted and had with rice.

I will be getting the seeds from him for coming season in February end.

NJA

I tried posting flickr link but I am told "you are not allowed to post image extension on this board"

I request help to post pics.

I will be getting the seeds from him for coming season in February end.
Ummm NJA, if you had the peppers, you had the seeds. Why didn't you save them?

I tried posting flickr link but I am told "you are not allowed to post image extension on this board"

I request help to post pics.
A common mistake is linking to the page instead of the actual image.

Ummm NJA, if you had the peppers, you had the seeds. Why didn't you save them?

A common mistake is linking to the page instead of the actual image.

I still have the peppers . They are green and not ripened. I am not sure if I ripen them and get the seeds off them, if they will yield good seeds.

What I can do is still try ...and try it shall be.

I have four of them with me. Let me try and get the seeds.

Thanks Dan for suggestion.

NJA

The mexican grown habaneros that our grocery stores are bringing in, have no where near the heat value that my goatsweed have, the habs are hot but nothing like my goatsweed. the habs only produce about 10 peppers per plant in various sizes, about largest about the size of my thumb but little flavour, they do taste like habs but rather dull. I saved some seeds and grew a few plants this year and the pods from the seeds are still not as hot as my g/w.

I do have another hab plant that I grew from seeds I bought 10 - 15 years ago and the pods from it are hot and juicy, I still have a few seeds left but am going to attempt a cloning and put the cutting in my DWC, I hope to do that today.

NJA, you always keep my googling quite active with some of the varieties you are familar with, I couldn't find much on this pepper type or on some of the other types you have posted in the past.

I had a retired friend from India, who was growing plants that he brought back from northern india, I don't know if it was north east or west, he would eat the pods green. he use to bring me pods and his pods had some heat value(they are annuums). He gave me seeds and I have 2 plants but the pods aren't hot, zero heat value, actually I grew one plant and he grew the other for me. Originally, I thought they might be suryankhi cluster but now I think they maybe dhanraj. the pods grow in clusters, approximately 3 pods/cluster and the pods generally point up right. I am letting the plants die off, I do have some dried seeds in red pods that he was saving for me, so perhaps I will try to grow so more plants in the future. unfortunately he passed away on valentines day and his wife remembered he was saving the seeds; he would stop by and visit me and we would test my various peppers, sauces and some of my homemade wines.

I aslo have some plants from seeds I planted from pods from a package of Ravi Brand hot dried peppers(package says Red Chilli without stem, product of india), I have searched the internet and the dried pods look like Gunter Sannam. I powder the dried pods and they have a nice heat. I also have some dundicut growing, they were easy to identify and are distinctive(I know they are from pakistan).

the chilimans website allows us to enter in the origin of a pepper and it brings back pages and pages of indian peppers. many do not have pictures and limited description, of course the gondaliya marcha is not listed.

Back