• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Good article on earth worm castings

ColdSmoke said:
Is there a way to tell how  fresh bagged casting are?
Its hard to tell but they should not be dry. Once ewc is dry it is very difficult to re-hydrate them.
meinchoh said:
Amazing how scientific worm poop can be, isn't it?  :)
Sure is. They are amazing little creatures in that whatever goes into them goes through their gizzard and comes out higher in nutrients than when it went it.

ColdSmoke said:
Is there a way to tell how  fresh bagged casting are?

They should look similar to moist coffee grounds (although slightly larger) and smell like rich topsoil after a spring rain has passed and the sun has shown upon the earth (a heavenly scent... very foresty and sweet.)  To the touch they will be soft and pliable micropebbles.  Perfectly fresh castings should have all of those qualities. 

how long to they stay "fresh" I have like 20lbs of them and can't see myself using it all this season.

I guess I could I dress all my roses and other yard bushes with them if I had to use them up, but I'd rather use them for my veggies. 

By all means do use all 20lbs!!! :party:   But im telling you man... you should start your own worm farm... they are soooo easy.  And there is no better feeling than looking at beautiful healthy plants and knowing that you created their nutrients (that is with help from the worms ofc ;) )  Start small and work your way up to a worm empire :dance:

Noah Yates said:
By all means do use all 20lbs!!! :party:   But im telling you man... you should start your own worm farm... they are soooo easy.  And there is no better feeling than looking at beautiful healthy plants and knowing that you created their nutrients (that is with help from the worms ofc ;) )  Start small and work your way up to a worm empire :dance:
Can you post a link to a good tutorial, or video for building and maintaining a worm farm?

Noah Yates said:

I have the worm factory, but it's taking forever for them to eat everything in the first tray and move up. I think it will take 6 months before I get my first castings.

Noah Yates said:
I live in north Texas where summers are blisteringly hot. Can earthworms survive in an non air conditioned garage? Winter time here seems ideal for worms.

Roguejim said:
Can you post a link to a good tutorial, or video for building and maintaining a worm farm?

Dude!!!!! I totally should. I have been wanting to start a thread called "Game of Worms"

winston61 said:
I live in north Texas where summers are blisteringly hot. Can earthworms survive in an non air conditioned garage? Winter time here seems ideal for worms.
I don't think composting worms like it much above 80 deg.

Hey ColdSmoke.  You will have castings much faster than that.  How many pounds of worms did you start your farm with and how long has it been running?

Noah Yates said:
Hey ColdSmoke.  You will have castings much faster than that.  How many pounds of worms did you start your farm with and how long has it been running?
one pound and it's been going for over three months...they can't seem to get through the first tray. I checked it out and there are still small piece of vegetables and leaves in there...Check that...it's been just under two months. 

Well... I will just say for now that I use large plastic totes.  
IMG_7826.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG
IMG_7839.JPG

You just prepare them and occasionally turn everything (mix it up). 

One pound of worms would easily seed a 30 gallon tub such as one of these.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1397]

ColdSmoke said:

I have the worm factory, but it's taking forever for them to eat everything in the first tray and move up. I think it will take 6 months before I get my first castings.
Castings take a long time to get unless you have 10,000 worms and are feeding 10 lbs of food a week. :rofl:
ColdSmoke said:
I don't think composting worms like it much above 80 deg.
Yes you would have to bring the bin into the house or you will kill them.
Optimum temperature for Red Wigglers is about 77 degrees so 90 degree garages would probably kill most if not all of them unless you were giving them moisture constantly.

Back