• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Good fumes!

I'm dehydrating some bhuts and a small mixture of other peppers in my living room. The air in the room is getting deadly. I'm used to it, but I wonder if it would drive people away. I got some extra effects by taking a deep breath near the fan exhaust.

my experience is that the smell is just strong, it should not have any burning effects unles you touch the pods. my entire garage smells, for the last few days i actually had it in the office next to an ope window with a fan blowing the smell out the window and you can smell it around the yard

I am not worried about health issues as Capcasium can hurt, but does not do damage. My living room is NASTY. When I go in, I cough, my eyes water and I feel heat in my mouth.

What temp you using? I don't ever get that effect in the garage, strong odor but no burn. Put the dehydrator in the garage

The lowest temp 95 f. This is what I used last time. It took 72 hours to properly dehydrate the pods, but it kept all the heat and flavor. These pods are hotter wetter (fresher) and have a lot more oil than the last set I dried.

I live in an apartment on the 4th floor. No access to a garage. I am not complaining, just sharing.

I as so desensitized that I can't tell if the fumes are noticeable in the hallway. Also, I have a feeling that these will take more than 3 days to dry. The latch batch was barely ready after 72 hours. These have a lot more moisture.

My wife about killed me one year. I have a continuous batch process dehydrator, about 20 trays and very low heat, that I decided to run in the kitchen for a couple days. I thought it smelled great but she was unamused. Sneezes, watery eyes and noses..... I dont do it in the house anymore... :twisted:

I always air- dry em out in the kichen. I think it smells good, and no one in the house complains as we live in New Mexico and the constant consumption of chili is in our blood. Everyone at home thinks the smell of superhots smell good, just potent. Right now ever store is roasting green chili and it smells just heavenly outside. They only complain when I toast some hot powder or pods in pan with a little oil and the atmosphere is like someone sprayed mace in the kitchen. Cleans out your sinuses though.

Back