• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Good general use hotsauce wanted

Coop said:
First of all, Hi, I'm Coop, I'm new to this forum and I have a pretty serious addiction to spicy stuff. Not a problem... But, I live in the Netherlands, where good hot sauce is hard to find in the local shops.
Most stores here have one kind, the original Tabasco. If you're lucky you might find the mild Jalapeno version (as if the original isn't mild enough as it is) or if you're really lucky, you might be able to find Encona West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce, which is a little better, but still nowhere near quenching my craving for fiery hotness... When cooking I use sambal or fresh chilies a lot to spice things up. But sambal contains a lot of seeds and skins, so makes dishes less easthetically pleasing and using fresh cilies is time consuming and I cant always get the kinds I want.

Now I've seen a lot of places that sell hotsauce over the internet, but a lot of them don't ship to the Netherlands, or only at insane shippingcost. So here is question 1:

- What shops will ship to the Netherlands at a decent rate?

And now for the even more important bit, what sauce(s) to get? I'm looking for something thats pretty much general use. Something to spice up my chili but also suitable to put on a sandwich or use in (or as) a dip. So here is question 2:

- What hotsauce(s) to get?

I'd like to start out with maybe 1 or 2 samplers with different kinds of sauce so I can work from there to find the ultimate hotsauce for me.

Thanks for your help,

Coop
==================================
Netherlands, eh?

Might you have access to products of Aruba (DWI)? They make a couple of phenomenal sauces their under the label "Aruba's Finest"

One is called "Madam Jeanette" which is the name of the local chinense varietal there. It is basically a chinense mash. Good heat, great pepper flavor.

The other one is called Papaya de Pica, and is a wonderful combination of papayas, a hint of mustard, and madam jeanette peppers.

Both are awesome.

staffing said:
==================================
One is called "Madam Jeanette" which is the name of the local chinense varietal there. It is basically a chinense mash. Good heat, great pepper flavor.

One of the local supermarkets does sell a sauce called "Madam Jeanette", but it's a different brand. It has a great hotness to it, but the flavor is too overpowering. You just don't taste the food anymore :(

TriniHottie said:
What types of Peppers they use in Snake Bite? I will have to ask my cousin in London to send me this nice sauce...

You'll have to keep checking his site as Mark's often run out of it. He usually puts an announcement out that his next batch is ready. He also sells it on ebay when he has it in stock.

Coop said:
One of the local supermarkets does sell a sauce called "Madam Jeanette", but it's a different brand. It has a great hotness to it, but the flavor is too overpowering. You just don't taste the food anymore :(

=======================
Hmmmm....I've never noticed it to be overpowering....but then, the pepper taste is what I crave..the food is merely a vehicle.

Good heat, I agree.

Ive found defcon 1 seems to be a very versitile sauce..I use it on everything lol I had the munchies(didnt eat supper) so I made a batch of stove top stuffing using defcon 1..if im not cooking for others I tend to find the quick meal lol.I come home on break its on my sandwiches lol everything

Coop said:
First of all, Hi, I'm Coop, I'm new to this forum and I have a pretty serious addiction to spicy stuff. Not a problem... But, I live in the Netherlands, where good hot sauce is hard to find in the local shops.
Most stores here have one kind, the original Tabasco. If you're lucky you might find the mild Jalapeno version (as if the original isn't mild enough as it is) or if you're really lucky, you might be able to find Encona West Indian Original Hot Pepper Sauce, which is a little better, but still nowhere near quenching my craving for fiery hotness... When cooking I use sambal or fresh chilies a lot to spice things up. But sambal contains a lot of seeds and skins, so makes dishes less easthetically pleasing and using fresh cilies is time consuming and I cant always get the kinds I want.

Now I've seen a lot of places that sell hotsauce over the internet, but a lot of them don't ship to the Netherlands, or only at insane shippingcost. So here is question 1:

- What shops will ship to the Netherlands at a decent rate?

And now for the even more important bit, what sauce(s) to get? I'm looking for something thats pretty much general use. Something to spice up my chili but also suitable to put on a sandwich or use in (or as) a dip. So here is question 2:

- What hotsauce(s) to get?

I'd like to start out with maybe 1 or 2 samplers with different kinds of sauce so I can work from there to find the ultimate hotsauce for me.

Thanks for your help,

Coop
Hi Coop I live in Germany and I order here:

http://www.pepperworld.com/

It is a German site I hope your German is pretty good Harold & Renate Zoshke are good people, I am sure they will sell at a decent price as far as postage is concerned it would be in Europe.

Baldman said:
I will second THP on Cape Fear's Red Savina... I put that sauce on everything and it tastes great! It has to be my personal favorite so far.

Good luck on your decision and let us know what you end up picking.

thehotpepper.com said:
Cape Fear Pepper Company Red Savina Habanero Premium Hot Sauce. Yes, that's one sauce ;)
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=797

Many thanks for the plug guys! It's always nice to hear feedback from regular users. :)
Coop, the shipping cost to the Netherlands from my location is approx $25.00usd for 1 5oz bottle. That is the actual rate from the US postal service. I agree that the rate is quite expensive for 1 bottle, but I will, and have in the past , shipped to the Netherlands. If you would like to try my sauce, I'll send you a bottle at no charge if you are willing to pay for the shipping cost.

Cap'n

Thanks for the offer Cap'n!

But instead of accepting it, I'm going to share some of my knowledge :)

I happen to know a thing or two about international shipping from the US. I receive packages from the US on a regular basis (I order a lot of stuff from the US) and I know the US postal system can drive you postal.
But there are quite a few options if you want to send something by USPS mail to somewhere outside the US.

First, if you have a lightweight item to mail, like a small plastic bottle of hotsauce, you can just use First-Class Mail International. Sending a 5oz plastic bottle of sauce in a bubble envelope to a western european country would cost you less than $6. Added advantage of this would be that the plastic is less likely to get damaged in transport. This method of shipping usually takes about 14 days.

Second, If you need items to get across a bit quicker, or have a larger/heavier package to ship, you might want to look into the Priority Mail International Flat Rate envelopes or boxes. The envelopes are 9.5" x 12.5" and will cost you $11 to ship to a western european country. They do have a weightlimit of 4lbs tho. Also, the older versions of these envelopes had a tendency to tear, so make sure to pack your goods in a bubble envelope or other protective mailer and put that inside the flat fee envelope.
There are also Priority Mail International flat fee boxes. These aren't very big, but big enough for a few bottles of sauce. They cost $37 to western european countries and have a weightlimit of 20lbs (thats a decent quantity of hotsauce I think :) ) Priority Mail International can also be insured for a few $$ extra.

These are the shippingmethods I usually use. I hope you can use this information to expand your number international customers. The info for the Netherlands specific can be found here: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/mo_021.htm but it is the same for most (if not all) western european countries. More specific info per country can be found here: http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immctry.htm .

If you have any more questions about this subject, feel free to ask!

Whoa! Can't say that I didn't try. Good luck!

In the real world, a 5 fluid oz "glass" bottle of hot sauce to the Netherlands from the US via USPS, sorry to say, will cost you more than 6USD! A plastic bottle in an envelope? Are you serious? :lol: 99% of the sauces produced in the US will be in Glass bottles. Get over the "plastic bottle in an envelope" way of thinking, and think, "glass bottle in a package".

Real world: A 5 fluid oz glass bottle of hot sauce, including box and packing material will be in the 1-2lb weight class. Use the USPS International shipping calculator to find the exact cost of shipping. Here is the USPS calculated cost for a 1lb or less package from my location in the US to the Netherlands.

http://postcalc.usps.gov/IntlMailServices.aspx?Country=10298&M=2&P=1&O=0&sd=1

it cost about $22US for me to send two 150 ml bottles (glass) from Australia to Texas (not coounting bubble wrap and box etc). Postage everywere is offensive.. it holds us sauce guys back lol trust me there is no cheaper option that will garentee the product gets there in one peice if there was I'd be using it.

Back