• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

good news!

well i took the ASTB (aviation selection test battery) for the navy last week. today i called the recruiting office to find out if my scores came in. she returned my call later while i was here at work..unfortunately my boss and several clients were here, so didn't have time to talk. she did tell me i passed though! so now i have to take a physical, pass a fitness exam (running 1.5 miles in under 12 minutes, at least 40something push ups in 2 minutes, and at least 40something sit ups in 2 minutes.), after that i just have to have some formal interview with an officer. if all that goes well, i'll be off to pensacola, fl to start training at the officer candidate school!

exciting and nervous..i've never done anything like military service before really, so i'm sure there will be times in OCS when i say "what the hell did you get yourself into!?" but once i'm through that..it shouldn't be soo bad.

i know theres a few people that either are serving or have served here on the boards...any advice or stories?

edit..forgot to specify, i'll be going into the navy.

Congratulations.. Everybody survives the training and comes out the better for it.. I wouldn't tell them about the pets you keep.
Good Luck..

Best wishes Brian! I remember you mentioned it a few times, and glad to see you following through. I wanted to go into flight school while in the Coast Guard, but my color blindness kept me in the water! It all worked out for the best though.
No prior military and you're going directly to OCS? I'm not trying to cast a shadow here, but make sure that they are not just telling you that. Recruiters have been known to fib a time or two. I had a few mates while in boot camp that were "supposed" to be at OCS!
Keep us updated!

congrats & good luck to you.
I never served but heard navy is a good choice, pick a field where it'll help you after you leave the service(if you do ?) navy & air force have good fields that'll help you for civilian jobs.
also start working out right now! & I mean right NOW! :D j/k but serious if you dont work out now, start working out. it'll only make it easier on you once you join up & go through boot camp. & enjoy the world since you'll be traveling to other countries.
& bring a extra toothbrush if you're a lippy kind of guy :)

Congratulations! Good luck and Godspeed.

I never served myself but if I had it to do over I would. I now realize 4-6 years is not that big a chunk of your life!

Be careful when they put ya in that thing and drop ya in the water! Glug glug glug....

Denio - thanks.. hah unfortunately i'm selling off the collection until i am in my own place on or off base that will let me keep some more. i'm gonna get my little brother to watch one snake and one spider for me though..two that i really don't want to sell.

imaguitargod - hah yea..if you'd have asked me if i was going to join a year ago..i'd probably say "hell no!" a lot of my family is or was in the military..i guess it is part of my up bringing or something.

Cap'n Bones - thanks. yea, i'd love to go to flight school..but it is tough to get in, so i will not be surprised if i wind up doing something else. that sucks about the colorblindness.. i'm fortunate and have very good vision. with my degree they told me i was looking at either pilot, navigator, or battle management or something. they mentioned going in as enlisted and switching to the officer program after a year..but if i can help it..i'll just go straight into the officer prog. well i'll know for sure when i wind up in pensacola, fl for OCS..or i think san antonio where the basic training is heh.

chilehunter - thanks..yea it was either navy or air force. preferred the af but it would've been a years wait till i could to go OTS. not trying to sign up for another lease if i don't have to. as for leaving the service..i figure i'll do my time..and if i can't stand it..i'll get out and find another job with my training. if i don't mind it by then..or even like it..i'll try to shoot for at least 20 years and get a retirement package :D

yea, the fitness test is going to be my next hurdle. i need to cut back on the stouts, double stouts, porters, and other ales :) but i have been jogging/walking, doing push ups, sit ups, and lifting some light weights..

i miss the traveling though..my dad was a marine for a long time and we moved around a lot..i've lived here in boca raton, fl for 7 years now...longest place i've ever lived by a good 3 years!

edit..thanks chuck and dyce. haha part of the reason i chose the navy or chair force is the lack of chance i'd wind up patrolling baghdad on foot!

thanks everyone. yea, i miss moving around when i lived with my parents before my dad retired. would be really cool to get stationed over in japan or in germany too!

having lived on a few marine bases, i figure i have a decent idea of what i'm getting myself into..but if for whatever reason i really can't stand it, i'll just get out after my time is up..otherwise i plan on making a career out of it and hopefully retiring with pension. :lol: thats a long time away though, so who knows.

still haven't figured out what specific job i want to do while in. i'd love to be a pilot..but so would a lot of people which makes it tough to actually get the job. the recruiter said that since my degree is in graphic design, i technically only qualify for a few areas...pilot, navigator, or battle management. we'll be going over it more next time i meet with her though.

i'm already looking forward to the last day i have to deal with angry clients here at this job! :(

thanks again everyone. yea, boot camp won't be fun, but i'm confident i can make it through ok. i appreciate the support. i might disappear at first (not yet..but when i actually go) since i don't know if i'll have immediate internet access..but i won't be gone long.

its been awhile, so whats the news with you & the military service ? I totally respect you for going into the military, & Thank You for joining the military. also Thank You for all that have served.

I'm adding this onto this post because of others might think its too political ;) if I started another thread. but its a good read. I know its kinda old but I only recently found this again so I thought to share it.

A little perspective...

A little long but good.

Your alarm goes off; you hit the snooze and sleep for another 10
minutes.
He stays up for days on end.
-- --
You take a warm shower to help you wake up.
He goes days or weeks without running water.
-- --
You complain of a "headache", and call in sick.
He gets shot at, as others are hit, and keeps moving forward.
-- --
You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up
with your friends. He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.
-- --
You make sure you're cell phone is in your pocket.
He clutches the cross hanging on his chain next to his dog tags.
-- --
You talk trash on your "buddies" that aren't with you.
He knows he may not see some of his buddies again.
-- --
You walk down the beach, staring at all the pretty girls.
He walks the streets, searching for insurgents and terrorists.
-- --
You complain about how hot it is.
He wears his heavy gear, not daring to take off his helmet to wipe his
brow.
-- --
You go out to lunch, and complain because the restaurant got your order
wrong.
He does not get to eat today.
-- --
Your maid makes your bed and washes your clothes.
He wears the same things for months, but makes sure his weapons are
clean.
-- --
You go to the mall and get your hair redone.
He doesn't have time to brush his teeth today.
-- --
You are angry because your class ran 5 minutes over.
He is told he will be held an extra 2 months.
----
You call your girlfriend and set a date for that night.
He waits for the mail to see if there is a letter from home.
-- --
You hug and kiss your girlfriend, like you do everyday.
He holds his letter close and smells his love's perfume.
-- --
You roll your eyes as a baby cries.
He gets a letter with pictures of his new child, and wonders if they'll
ever meet.
-- --
You criticize your government, and say that war never solves anything.
He sees the innocent tortured and killed by their own government and
remembers why he is fighting.
-- --
You hear the jokes about the war, and make fun of the men like him.
He hears the gun fire and bombs.
-- --
You see only what the media wants you to see.
He sees the bodies lying around him.
-- --
You are asked to go to the store by your parents. You don't.
He does what he is told.
-- --
You stay at home and watch TV.
He takes whatever time he is given to call and write home, sleep, and
eat.
-- --
You crawl into your bed, with down pillows, and try to get comfortable.
He crawls under a tank for shade and a 5 minute nap, only to be woken by
gun fire.
-- --
You sit there and judge him, saying the world is a worse place because
of men like him. If only there were more men like him.

If you support your troops, send this on!!!! & tell a vet "THANK YOU" for their service & all they've done.

chilehunter said:
-- --
You put on your anti war/don't support the troops shirt, and go meet up
with your friends
. He still fights for your right to wear that shirt.-- --

Thank you, Chilehunter.

Back