• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Goodies from Guatemala!

My wife just got home from Guatemala, and she brought me some spicy gifts. :woohoo: 4 bottles of hot sauce and some chile chocolate!

guatemala263.jpg

I haven't tried any of them yet, but I think I might right now.

[sup]
nice find indee!!

let us know how they are

thanks your fiend Joe
[/sup]

[sup]Freudian slip, I'm sure, but I love it anyway~ [/sup]

[sup]Musky, Nice gifts for her to bring home. Isn't it great when people bring you something you would really like instead of just a t-shirt? :crazy: Looking forward to hear your comments about them.[/sup]

[sup]SL[/sup]

Ok, I tried all the sauces, and they are very good for the most part. I'm not much of a reviewer, but here are my thoughts in a nutshell...

The Pica Diablo is a very straight forward sauce made with Tabasco peppers. It's nothing like Tabasco Sauce though. Not really vinegary at all, and much hotter than I expected. The consistency is thick and smooth. It has a nice clean chile flavor that would be good on almost anything.

Don Mundy Chile Habanero is the hottest of the bunch, and quite good. It's like El Yucateco, but hotter and with a nice garlic and onion undertone.

Maya-Ik doesn't say what kind of chiles it has in it, but tastes like a smokey chipotle sauce. The flavor is very very good, but the texture is just a tiny bit gritty. I'm guessing it is made with smoked and dried pods or powder, so that is probably why it seems that way. Otherwise very smooth with no seeds or chunks of anything.

ChiPica is also made with tabasco peppers. It has no vinegar in it, and the flavor is similar to Pica Diablo. Not nearly as hot though, and a bit too salty for my taste. It is also absolutely loaded with hard seeds.

The chocolate is very good dark chocolate, but I couldn't taste any spice or chile flavor at all. My wife says she can taste it, but barely.

Overall, I'm impressed with these products. Not a single one was vinegary, and the flavors are bold, yet not overly complex. I would probably buy 3 of the 4 sauces on a semi-regular basis if they were available here.

My wife just got home from Guatemala, and she brought me some spicy gifts. :woohoo: 4 bottles of hot sauce and some chile chocolate!

guatemala263.jpg

Nice find,
My son and his girlfriend traveled to Guat over Thanksgiving to visit her family and friends. He brought me back some coffee, chocolate and 3 types of chili seeds.....very thoughtful of him

Greg

guatemala263.jpg

Is your wife guatemalan? My mother is from Honduras. Next door neighbors.

Back