• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Got Bugs !

No, not me, my plants.

Been noticing these bugs on my pods for awhile now. Not alot of them, just everyonce in awhile I'll find one on a pod. I relocate the bug when I find one.

So now that my pods are ripening, I've been noticing small light brown soft spots on the pods.

Any chance these bugs are sucking the juices out of the pods causing this or are the spots caused possibly by something else.

These bad bugs? Any way to get rid of them if they are causing the spots. Not notice any spots like that on the green pods, just on the ones that are ripening. So could the bugs not be causing the spots?

looks like a leaf footed bug (species unknown)... very similar to the ones I see. sub adult instar?
don't know if they cause that type of damage, they haven't in mine. The ones I have are drilling into the pods and then either get mold on the inside when i cut them open or I get a soft rotting spot.

edit: could be a squash bug too, i have double infestation and they co-mingle... so could be either :(

Took Dave200's suggestion and cut that pepper in half.

Doesn't look like what ever is causing the spots went all the way into the pepper. A little overipe, but looks ok inside.

Read about squash bugs on web, but sounds like they don't like hot peppers. Don't think it's sunscald cause these peppers that have in on them are tucked up in the plants. So more and likely going to have to guess it's a fungal infection. I scraped on it with a knife and seems to be only effecting the outer layer of the pepper and not go to far into it.

Any other ideas as to what it may be and how to stop it? Have a few more that are infected like that.

Back