• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Got milk???

I was looking around through some recipe forums and ran across a hot sauce that involved the use of both lime juice and evaporated milk? Even though the milk is evaporated, wouldn't that cause issues with the lime juice, essentially curdling it? Has anyone heard of this before?

Coconut milk = yes
Cow's milk = no!

Heavy cream won't curdle, if you are making a cream sauce. Defcon sauce has it.

I am not sure about heavy cream or evaporated milk but I am pretty sure that acid (lime juice) in milk makes cheese (curdles).

Recipe to make Bare Bones cheese:

1 gallon 2% milk
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp salt

1. Heat the milk to 190F. You will need a thermometer for other cheeses but you can get by here turning off the heat just before the milk begins to boil.
2. Add the vinegar and allow the mixture to cool.
3. When cool, pour the mixture, (which now consists of curds and whey as in Miss Muffet food) into a colander and drain off the whey.
4. Pour the curds into a bowl and sprinkle on the salt and mix well. You may wish to use less salt or more. It is simply a matter of taste which is the next step. You can add a little cream for a silky texture.

My wife left me in March 1976. Good riddance. Can not do good hobbies with some wives around.

Her 2nd husband was smarter. He threw her out!
Sorry to hear about your spouse issues. I'm a very lucky man in that my wife supports me in all of my adventures (like starting two businesses, going back to grad school after 10 years, etc.). She may whine and complain a little bit at times. . . but that's just a woman thing anyway ;) ;) ;)

Back