• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Goya's BOTANITA Snack Hot Sauce

And now for something completely different.

bonitasandchukag5.jpg

No, that's not a sports drink I'm holding. It's hot sauce. Mexican hot sauce. A whole freak'n liter of Mexican hot sauce for $1.19. Yep. Pretty crazy.

bonitaslabellq8.jpg

It looks like it's some crazy hot pink color but that's actually the color of the plastic bottle...red.

Here's how it looks in a spoon....

bonitasinspoonzj4.jpg

So...how does it taste? Well....not to bad. It's made with guajilla and arbol peppers...and a lot of water. But it really doesn't taste too bad. Not much heat to speak of....considering. It's got that basic Mexican "picante" taste..along with other...stuff.

bonitasingredientsvy1.jpg

Can read all that? I hope so because I don't feel like transcribing it. Lots of preservatives and food color. Passow can "pass" on this one. I doubt I'd buy it again. I just picked it up for weirdness factor.

I could see it used in drinks or thrown in a marinade but beyond that...I dunno.

Heat 3/10
Taste 3/10

chuk hell said:
Passow can "pass" on this one.
:) :lol:

Wow Chuk! That there beard is getting long! I love the chemtrails in the sky in the first pic.

Nice review, $1.19 for a liter of sauce is astonishing...but then again, it rates a 3 on your taste scale. Looks like you can "chuk" that bottle in the trash.;)

Well, I have to admit it tastes better than I expected it to...but still, it is what it is.

I'm curious as to how exactly Mexicans consume this stuff.

chuk hell said:
I'm curious as to how exactly Mexicans consume this stuff.
With their mouths, how else do you expect them to consume it?(please...don't answer that one folks).

As far as I can tell, living in Mexico...er....Los Angeles as the base of my experience. The Mexicans don't eat that stuff. They stick with Tepaltia or their own home made stuff.

imaguitargod said:
Nice review, $1.19 for a liter of sauce is astonishing...
Recycled water bottles :)

Preservatives. colourings and other assorted chemicals = I don't buy it. That also goes for animal products. A good chilli sauce is entirely vegetable based.

GreenHot said:
A good chilli sauce is entirely vegetable based.
Coming soon, Blair's Chili Meat Death Hot Sauce, made with real baby seals :) (I hate to say it, but I would buy that just for the novelty, it would be my first collectors sauce :) )

imaguitargod said:
Coming soon, Blair's Chili Meat Death Hot Sauce, made with real baby seals :) (I hate to say it, but I would buy that just for the novelty, it would be my first collectors sauce :) )

It would be a nice effect to have a miniature baseball bat tied around the neck of the bottle.

Goya is the nabisco of Mexico. They make everything. My mexican friends will use stuff like that like we might use ketchup. It also gets used as a basteing liquid and a crock pot liquid. At a buck and a quarter it's cheap enough for family pulled pork day.

Well this stuff has been sitting on my kitchen counter for a couple weeks now and I've actually used almost half of it. I find myself using it to season things I'm cooking like tacos, etc. Not bad in that aspect.

Back