• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grafting A Multi-Pepper Plant?

Dyce51 said:
Would that not happen if there were 3 different peppers growing on 1 plant?

As POTAWIE said - don't use the grafted plant for seed collecting. Cross pollination will not - I repeat - will not affect the fruit. It will only be noticeable if you plant the seeds that resulted from a cross pollination. Come on, this is biology on a junior high level not rocket science.

Dyce51 said:
I understand the theory behind this idea. Bit I have a question....

When we plant different varieties of peppers we seperate them to try to stop cross pollenation.

Would that not happen if there were 3 different peppers growing on 1 plant?

I think it is possible, my father, for example, has 2 varieties of apple and 2 varieties of pear on just one tree, but it's a fruit.

When it's about a fruit, you just have to have similar kernels and it works OK. Apples and pears, apricot and plum, cherries...

I can take you some pics if you want.
;)

grga said:
I think it is possible, my father, for example, has 2 varieties of apple and 2 varieties of pear on just one tree, but it's a fruit.

When it's about a fruit, you just have to have similar kernels and it works OK. Apples and pears, apricot and plum, cherries...

I can take you some pics if you want.
;)

Please take pictures.

Okay. I found a garden centre not too far from me which sold grafting wax and I have made my feeble attempts to do some grafting. I found it very hard (near impossible) to hold the two pieces together solidly while wrapping the wax around them. My son joined me and between us we did a half-arsed job of it. We messed up quite a few and I doubt if these will actually take. I'll be SHOCKED :shocked: if either one works. I made clean cuts with a new, sterilized Exacto blade, on my Seven Pod and grafted branches from two other plants...

This one is a Red Savina:

IMG_0105.jpg

This one is a Bhut Jolokia:

IMG_0106.jpg

And here is a shot of both:

IMG_0107.jpg

If these don't work I might try a different method. It was just so hard to line up the two cuts.

Has anyone else tried it? I'd love to see some other efforts. If you have had an easier time, how have you done it? I really want to learn.

Thanks.

Thats the go PCH! Great to see that you have given this a go.

It shouldn't take all that long to see if they will make it or not, heres to waiting!

Wow! what an exciting thing to do! Fingers crossed they take.

We have half a lemon and half an orange tree, a real talking point! The old boys round here graft olives from one tree to another, only seen it done once. A bit more of a fiddle with a plant rather than a tree!

Good luck and keep us posted.

joeknowsjolokia said:
Did anyone ask Mother Nature if this is okay to do this to pepper plants?:rolleyes::lol:

PCH will only get sweet peppers on all his plants from now on if she's not OK with it. Even the tomato plants.

I guess it wont be long until we now if the grafts take. If they don't they'll wilt and die pretty soon, right?

Cool! I'll be watching to see how it goes. I already have my eye on a couple of my plants that have large trunks and symmetrical branching...

So that clear stuff on your grafts, that's like some kind of wax that gets used for doing this? I am just fascinated by this an so have to do it. I have two other questions regarding this if anyone may have experience or know an answer to them.

1. Lets say you have a jalapeno plant that will act as your "roots" and you attach a small branch from a habenero plant to the jalapeno plant. How much more growth can you expect to see from the habenero branch or will it stay the same size as when you cut it?

2. Once fruit is picked will fruit grow in the same spot and if so then you should consider using "high yielding" branches as donors than?

EXCELLENT PCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks really great man. Even if they start to wilt a bit, just don't take off those "bandages" for at least a month. If they do wilt, have patience. The graft may take time to callus over.

This is so cool! Can't wait to see the updates on this badboy!

crazy8 said:
1. Lets say you have a jalapeno plant that will act as your "roots" and you attach a small branch from a habenero plant to the jalapeno plant. How much more growth can you expect to see from the habenero branch or will it stay the same size as when you cut it?

2. Once fruit is picked will fruit grow in the same spot and if so then you should consider using "high yielding" branches as donors than?

1. The Hab graft will continue to grow as if was a part of the peno all along.

2. Nope, once a node has produced it will require new growth to make more sets.

crazy8 said:
So that clear stuff on your grafts, that's like some kind of wax that gets used for doing this? I am just fascinated by this an so have to do it. I have two other questions regarding this if anyone may have experience or know an answer to them.

This is just a guess but i would think you would have a higher success rate with a smaller branch. Similar to taking cuttings, if you used a large branch it might not be able to get all the nutrients it needs to sustain itself before the graft sets.

Very very interesting topic and I think it's definitely possible. My Wifes dad used to graft all kinds of roses and Hibiscus's together in order to get multi coloured varieties but I like this much more :)

Well I had a normal pepper plant which I didn't care much for and I just cut off a rouge section of one of my pepperonichies, I know, not to hot, but hey if it survives then there's hope.

Here are some pics (please excuse the sticky tape, but it's late and thats all I had on hand)

DSCN3976.jpg

DSCN3977.jpg

DSCN3978.jpg

I even dunked it in a dissolved vit. C pill

Here we go....

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Very cool!

PCH you may want to mist the leaves of the Red Savina and Bhut Jolokia for a while, say a couple of weeks or so.

Best of luck to you man, you too Nilsen.

Novacastrian said:
Thats the go PCH! Great to see that you have given this a go.

It shouldn't take all that long to see if they will make it or not, heres to waiting!

Yeah...they look rather wilt-y today. In fact, they look dead. :( But, this made me feel a bit better:

FiveStar said:
EXCELLENT PCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks really great man. Even if they start to wilt a bit, just don't take off those "bandages" for at least a month. If they do wilt, have patience. The graft may take time to callus over.

This is so cool! Can't wait to see the updates on this badboy!

So, I'll be patient and keep my fingers crossed.

patrick said:
Very cool!

PCH you may want to mist the leaves of the Red Savina and Bhut Jolokia for a while, say a couple of weeks or so.

Best of luck to you man, you too Nilsen.

This was interesting. I went out as soon as I read it and gave the whole plant a good misting. I will keep it up until something further happens. Thanks for this suggestion, Patrick.

crazy8 said:
So that clear stuff on your grafts, that's like some kind of wax that gets used for doing this? I am just fascinated by this an so have to do it.

Yes. I bought a roll of "grafting tape parafilm" ... Please try doing this, too. I tried doing a simple splice graft with very narrow branches. If they don't take, I will use thicker branches, which would be sturdier to handle while wrapping and probably try that wedge graft, as the wedge would hold the branches together. I'd like to see lots of different experiments and we can see what works best. I have very few plants to play with compared to so many others. The more the merrier, for sure!!

Nilsen said:
Very very interesting topic and I think it's definitely possible. My Wifes dad used to graft all kinds of roses and Hibiscus's together in order to get multi coloured varieties but I like this much more

Well I had a normal pepper plant which I didn't care much for and I just cut off a rouge section of one of my pepperonichies, I know, not to hot, but hey if it survives then there's hope.

Here are some pics (please excuse the sticky tape, but it's late and thats all I had on hand)

DSCN3976.jpg

DSCN3977.jpg

DSCN3978.jpg

I even dunked it in a dissolved vit. C pill

Here we go....

Thanks for an interesting thread.

Fabtastic!! I am really happy to see this. Please keep us informed. Did you also use the simple splice...or how did you attach them?

caroltlw said:
Cool! I'll be watching to see how it goes. I already have my eye on a couple of my plants that have large trunks and symmetrical branching...

Please try it, Carol. I am very serious about creating a plant this way and need to see lots of efforts.

Hey! Thanks so much for all your support.

Hey PCH,

Thanks for the support as well, I think this is an awesome project an I really hope it works as well. Today mine is looking quite wilted as well, but I hope it straightens out soon, we shall see.

If this doesn't work I will definitely try again maybe with a more woody stem, I know it works roses why not peppers :)

I will post a pic tomorrow, I hope it looks better.

Good luck to all, and please will others also try, I know it's painful to cut a pepper but if it works, we're like space monkeys... :P

Back