• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

dry-spice Grandma's seasoning?

My dear, sweet father is looking for this. He grew up in Chico, CA. When his mama made chili, when it was cooked enough to do proper taste tests, she would start adding Grandma's Seasoning. He said they'd add some and taste it, and then add some more, till it was the right flavor. well, He grew up and moved away and missed it one day and couldnt find it anywhere. He called my grandmother and she sent him a jar of it when I was a teenager. So for he first time ever, he read the Ingredients. Ahem. Ingredient: Chili pepper.. It had a red label and he said you cant find it east of The Great Divide, it is a West Coast product.

He claims (dear sweet man) that it had lots and lots of flavor, but no heat (well, maybe if you added too much).

Its been thirty years at least, since my grandma mailed that jar. He has no more kin back there to write and ask for it. If any one on the West Coast knows this product, if it still exists, he would pay for the product and the shipping and probably your time and trouble (and I'd love to know what "chili pepper" it is).

My father loves chili flavor. the least little bit of heat has him complaining about how his mouth burns (ginger is often too 'hot' for him). pm me please, if you can get this stuff!

Thanks Patrick and salsalady. I'm not sure this is it, but encouraged by Law Mamma's experience, I sent a message to the Williams company.

Grandma's Spanish Seasoning (old name) was manufactured by Grandma's Spanish Pepper Co. New product name: Grandma's Zesty Chili Powder.

Grandma's Spanish Pepper Co. is owned by Williams Foods. (913) 888-4343.

Ing: Ground chili powder, cumin seed, oregano and garlic.

If thats the case, thp, then they added stuff. I sent the link to my dad that you sent me. to see if thats it. I'llsend the above info to dad, too.

No I copied the ingredients from that old can.

well, my dad's visual memory is better than his memory for text and words. Case in point: that vintage can you linked me to is the one he remembers seeing in his childhood- I note that that his Grandma's Seasoning is Grandmas Spanish Seasoning :rolleyes: Thanks so very very much, he's contacting the company! Ya'll are awesome! THP, you are the best!

Final Note: my father contacted the company and they returned his call. They informed him they stopped making it 8 weeks ago.

Ask them where they distributed the last batch. I heard you can get in stores in Kansas and CA. Other than that it wasn't widely distributed.

Back