• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Grass Snake's 2016 grow

This year I'm growing some more common stuff that I can use in my cooking.
The fence is to keep my dog and other critters at bay. The bed was filled with a high-quality mix made with native soils. The brick I had lying around from when I reduced the size of my flower bed in front of my house.

Current grow list:
Beefsteak tomato
Roma tomato
Jalapeño pepper
Shishito pepper
Green bell pepper
Texas sweet onions
Cilantro

I wanna add a Cayenne type pepper, garlic and some Culantro real soon.

Ozzy2001 said:
Any of those mushrooms ever do anything?
Not yet, might be wasting my time. Haha. Will take a year to know if it was successful. Letting nature do it's thing, but in the mean time I will start working on growing some oysters like the Bum. Trying to determine which oyster variety would be more productive in my climate.

Not turning this into the mushroom log but here are a few pics of different mushrooms I have encountered recently. I'm trying to have a better understanding about fungi and it's role in world. In my line of work, some fungi knowledge would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20161005_152001.jpg
    20161005_152001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20161008_163327.jpg
    20161008_163327.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20161013_153443.jpg
    20161013_153443.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 33
  • 20161011_105229.jpg
    20161011_105229.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20161008_163412.jpg
    20161008_163412.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 40
I've never tried growing shiitake the way your doing it so can't help you there. I grow shiitakes on red and white oak it's pretty much the best. Shiitake means oak mushroom. They will grow on others though. The wood plugs are really easy from field and forest if you wanted to insure a harvest.

On oysters there are many kinds of substrate you can use, I only use straw that I pasteurize by chopping and placing into a pillow case. Heat water to 180 and place pillow case filled with straw into cooler then pour water over, let sit with lid on for an hour. Let it cool then inoculate with grain. And into bags to incubate. I've also done the lime soak where you just soak straw in lime and use it.

I started a long time ago with grain spawn from field and forest and then kept it alive on wet cardboard until I learned how to make my own potato agar to grow mycelium on. From the you can actually select strains of mycelium to grow out and find the one that's best for your area.

If I was you I would order a 2lb bag of grain spawn for $18 from field and forest of either yellow or grey dove oysters. That 2lb bag can produce more mushrooms then you could eat in a month the first time around depending on how you use it. From there you could transfer mycelium to some cardboard and keep using it.

Also there are some oyster that prefer logs, I grow polar whites which I just picked a bunch this morning that love logs. Check field and forests mushroom-substrate compatibility list.

Also a great investment is a mushroom identification field guide with good quality pictures. You may also have a mushroom club near you and they will have free mushroom walks,etc.

Cheers

Thanks for your input Bum, will definitely look into the two oysters you mention. I been using the online identification key that works ok but doesn't replace a good field guide. There is a field guide specifically for Texas mushrooms, which I plan on purchasing but holding out for a used copy, if possible.  It appears the only mushroom clubs in Texas are down south at least 3 hrs away, maybe I will start one for North Texas. All this fascinates me, and look forward to seeing where my new found interest leads me.

Your schroom endeavors are very interesting indeed ;)  I'm too chicken to try and grow them,as they scare me a bit. Cool that you're composting. Do you have critter issues hitting the compost? I had to secure mine; it seemed every time I added more it was gone the next day. I guess the "locals" are hungry ;)

Nice peppers!

Devv said:
Your schroom endeavors are very interesting indeed ;)  I'm too chicken to try and grow them,as they scare me a bit. Cool that you're composting. Do you have critter issues hitting the compost? I had to secure mine; it seemed every time I added more it was gone the next day. I guess the "locals" are hungry ;)

Nice peppers!

Hey Devv, haven’t had a problem with critters yet, maybe because I have it in a 55 gallon drum, plus I got a stinky hound dog that will keep em at bay. Thanks for stopping in and checking out the glog.

Pulled these this morning and a bunch still left on the plant. Trying to figure out how I can build a greenhouse over my existing garden. I tried to OW in the past but my house simply isn't big enough so keeping these alive outside sounds like a better idea..

Attachments

• 20161113_110638.jpg
    20161113_110638.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
Back