• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Green pods at the end of season?

My question is what do you all do with all the green pods at the end of the season that didn't have a chance to ripen yet.  I'll probably have 10 or more gallons of unripen pods at the end of the season.  The final podding of my plants are so loaded that the branches are nearly weighted to the ground.

I smoked a bunch of unripe lemon drop/pineapple/limon pods a couple days ago with apple and pecan woods. The powder actually came out pretty good. Not a huge difference in flavor from the smoked powder of the ripe ones.

Attachments

• 20151014_163334.jpg
    20151014_163334.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 53
Thegreenchilemonster said:
I smoked a bunch of unripe lemon drop/pineapple/limon pods a couple days ago with apple and pecan woods. The powder actually came out pretty good. Not a huge difference in flavor from the smoked powder of the ripe ones.
Great idea!!! That's a perfect solution I wonder how that would do for fermenting.

I too have about 30-40 plants still struggling to ripe a lot of pods... It's raining a lot and is quite cold... what do you recommend? Smoking, waiting to get a few more ripe pods or just  making a large amount of green sauce ?

Here in Arkansas, I'm hoping for at least a couple more weeks before frost.  But the weather can change quickly at times.  A couple of weeks may give me enough time to have most of the bigger pods to ripen.

Back