• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Green Superhot Sauce. Ideas??

Season is over here finally and I have this many green Bhuts and Habs to deal with...
5050550371_7c0b583958.jpg

Yowzer!

So I was contemplating making up a green hot sauce. But need some ideas of other ingredients that would compliment things.
I saw one commercial hot sauce that used prickly pears as a base- thought that might be interesting.
Also would like to incorporate some herbs maybe? Cilantro, mint even?

Anyway, thoughts, ideas?

here's one from pepperfool.com using jalapenos. I think you can use any jalapeno recipe and sub the hotties.

Jalapeno Sauce

1 pound jalapeno -- quartered
5 2" sprigs oregano -- remove stems
1 cup cilantro -- chopped
1 large onion -- quartered
6 large garlic clove -- chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lemon -- juiced
1 cup water
2 cups white wine vinegar

Puree in blender. Pour into pot, bring to boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Test pH; target 3.8 - 4.0. Process 15 minutes

Makes 2 pints.

and the pepperfool recipes webpage with tons of recipes to peruse-
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

I've yet to make a good, even passable green sauce. The last couple of attempts were almost disastrous and I ended up pouring my green sauce experiments down the drain. One of them tasted like dill pickles. :lol: Your peppers look awesome, and I'm sure you'll put together a great hot green sauce recipe :hell:

What about adding tomatillos. Search googole for tomatillo salsa recipes - they are AMAZINGLY tasty and you could get some great ideas from there.

I have a friend who makes a green tomato salsa that is amazing.

I was told putting the green peppers in a paper bag with banana peals for a few days and they will ripen. Any one know how reliable it is? Otherwise, I too have to find a good green sauce recipe.

I've heard that about bananas in a bag with unripe tomatoes, peppers, etc. An apple with the unripe veggies in a bag is also supposed to help. just make sure if you only use a banana peel, that it doesn't touch the peppers and get them slimy/rotten. Maybe keep the pods in a dish and put the peel next to the bowl in the bag (or vice versa).

I have a few 1/2-ripe chiles in a bag right now and they seem to be ripening faster than normal.

I usually just puree my remaining green (unripe) peppers all together with a tiny bit of vinegar and can them.

It makes a great ingredient for cooking soups, stews, and chilis!

;)

First thing I thought was that I would have put them in a paper bag to ripen. I don't use a banana, apple or anything. Nothing in the bag except peppers. Don't put too many in the bag, check them every day, remove the ripe ones. If they are close enough to getting ripe the paper bag will work. If the majority has turned red and some green ones are still left after a week with no hint of color then you can worry about making sauce with them.

Back