• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse Greenhouse success

I posted recently that due to very much colder than normal night time temps for August (dipping below 50 F), which many people have been hurting from, I was going to build a makeshift greenhouse over the table where I have my plants on my back deck.

I completed it yesterday and last night was the first night it was fully functional.

Pix here. Click the small images to see larger ones...

plants on table are from left to right

Naga Morich, Naga Morich, Caribbean Red, Caribbean Red, Thai Red, Thai Red

http://www.theskronk.com/wiki/index.php/Greenhouse

Since this greenhouse is very small it really does little by itself to keep anything warm. It was actually up the night before but the inside temp was equal to the outside temp. Not much help there.

My solution was to run a length of flexible duct from the vent fan in my basement window into the greenhouse and use the air I was venting in conjunction with a small $30.00 ceramic space heater to warm the air inside the greenhouse.

since its a very small space (72 Cubic feet total volume) I just set the heater on low/low and pointed the air stream at the duct that vents air into the structure. This effectively circulates the warm air gently and evenly throughout the entire structure and prevented any hot spots.

Bottom line, the air temp last night went down to 52 F, but everywhere inside the greenhouse it remained a constant 72 F.

Because of the way I designed it, as soon as the sun comes up and the air temp got up to 60 F I just take the whole thing down. Disassembles in about 3 minutes flat, goes back up the same way in the evening.

It totally rocks :) It will probably allow me to keep my plants out a lot longer, and get them out a lot earlier next year as well.

When I get home tonite I'll add some pics to the thread and describe the design, materials, and costs, for anyone thats interested.

Total cost of the thing was only about $75.00, the most expensive item being the $30.00 heater.

I would be very interested in your setup...it sounds very good for a few plants...

great idea skyjerk
iv,e been racking my brain about extending the rubbish uk growing season i think your on to a winner there

hey, where are those pics?

Thats damn ingenious of you Skyjerk..to use the ducting and put it all together nice i have a similar idea now..think we all be thanking you for this in this cool late summer :)

as Talas said...ingenious...

that will extend your growing season at least a month me thinks...

Thanks all.

If I can keep everything outside (and productive) for another month
I'll be happy. I'm still holding out hope for an indian summer.

I'll definitely be able to get everything outside earlier next year which should translate into bigger plants.

Man, I really feel for farmers now. They live and die by changes in the weather, and while I always knew that intellectually, this is the first time I got a teenie weenie taste of it directly, and for me this is just a hobby. It doesnt hit me in the bank account.

Back