Greetings from Dubai

welcome.gif
From Portland UK. Built a few fish tanks for people over there. Some serious wedge about.

Good luck

Daz

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster here. Born in the States, grew up in South Africa, now living in Dubai, where I'm hoping that the climate makes for a 12 month chili growing season. Seeds can be a little hard to come by over here though, especially anything more exotic than a cayenne - guess you can't have everything!

Love the pictures of all your chilis though - really inspiring. Just wish the wife would give me a little more space in the garden for my babies!
Welcome. South Africa? Reminds me that I had a sad mishap the other day. I bought some hot sauce from South Africa w/ Piri piri chilies and accidentally dropped it. Was really looking forward to trying it :-( You familiar w/ those peppers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_piri
Peri-Peri is the Swahili word for the African Bird's Eye chilli, a chilli indigenous to Africa. Nando's products are basted in one of four Peri-Peri flavours. Nando's has published a book about Peri-Peri called Pain and Pleasure – Peri-Peri the contrasts and contradictions of the African Bird's Eye Chilli

The sauce was made by this company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nando%27s

Welcome. South Africa? Reminds me that I had a sad mishap the other day. I bought some hot sauce from South Africa w/ Piri piri chilies and accidentally dropped it. Was really looking forward to trying it :-( You familiar w/ those peppers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piri_piri

The sauce was made by this company: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nando%27s

Sorry, didn't see your post earlier.

Yes, I know Nando's, it's quite a well known chicken restaurant in SA, and they've now also got restaurants in the Middle East. I'm not a big fan of their sauces though - I find them quite vinegary. Their sauces are also one of the reasons I've no interest in growing African Bird's Eyes, just in case the sauce is an accurate representation of their flavour. They're reasonably hot chilis I believe - I think they rate 175k on the Scoville scale.

welcome.gif
From Portland UK. Built a few fish tanks for people over there. Some serious wedge about.

Good luck

Daz

There is that, no doubt. I just wish some of it would find its way into my wallet!

For all the wealth though, I'm finding it seriously hard to come by some basic gardening essentials. I've tried asking about worm castings at the biggest chain nursery here - they look at me like I've just farted. Only about 10% of their staff even know what bone meal is, and of course, they don't have any and have no idea where I could get some. I find I get most of my ferts from the chemist, with some epsom salts and calcium tablets. Reverse osmosis systems, air stones, forget about it - they just have no idea what you're talking about. I saw some chili plants in a nursery out by the desert and asked them what kind of chilis they were. "Hot ones," was about as accurate a description as they could muster.

Luckily my shipment of seeds from Trade Winds Fruits made it through customs, or my chili growing would be limited to Cayennes, Antillas (and what an amazing find they were!) and "hot ones" from the local nursery.

Sorry, didn't see your post earlier.

Yes, I know Nando's, it's quite a well known chicken restaurant in SA, and they've now also got restaurants in the Middle East. I'm not a big fan of their sauces though - I find them quite vinegary. Their sauces are also one of the reasons I've no interest in growing African Bird's Eyes, just in case the sauce is an accurate representation of their flavour. They're reasonably hot chilis I believe - I think they rate 175k on the Scoville scale.
Hey bliksem, I too not a big fan of Nando's. a friend of mine swore by it and brought many, many bottles from his trip. it's a very commercially flavored fermented sauce. it is better than some of the other commercial sauces such as Tabasco, but that's about it. the peppers on the other hand quite good in fact. the African Birdeye it by no doubt the hottest C. frutescens I've ever eaten. it has that peppery frutescens flavor I sometimes find somewhat bitter or bland, but they're good. great for making Skhug or Harissa. it's also quite prolific plant as well.

I actually sent many users here seeds of the badass African Birdseye strain I had.

There is that, no doubt. I just wish some of it would find its way into my wallet!

For all the wealth though, I'm finding it seriously hard to come by some basic gardening essentials. I've tried asking about worm castings at the biggest chain nursery here - they look at me like I've just farted. Only about 10% of their staff even know what bone meal is, and of course, they don't have any and have no idea where I could get some. I find I get most of my ferts from the chemist, with some epsom salts and calcium tablets. Reverse osmosis systems, air stones, forget about it - they just have no idea what you're talking about. I saw some chili plants in a nursery out by the desert and asked them what kind of chilis they were. "Hot ones," was about as accurate a description as they could muster.

Luckily my shipment of seeds from Trade Winds Fruits made it through customs, or my chili growing would be limited to Cayennes, Antillas (and what an amazing find they were!) and "hot ones" from the local nursery.
I think you're better off looking for worms than looking for castings. they're really easy to grow and breed REALLY FAST! even only few red wigglers would reproduce so fast you'll start selling the excess real soon. only need to make sure to keep them in the shade and in a cool place, or they'll die.

Good luck with your season my friend.

Hi Omri. I'd thought about breeding worms, but I've had enough trouble with my wife over my chili passion as it is. If I tell her I'm about to set up a worm farm I'm sure she'll be on the next plane out of here!

Back