Greetings from friendly Canada - with pics...

Wow, Ballzworth - how kind of you!

: O

2976-2.gif

The Hollyberry Lady said:
garden04-1.gif

I am keenly interested in finding a hot pepper variety that goes through a color stage of true blue!

: )

Let me know if you find it, I don't think it exists;)

DSCI0771.jpg

Oh yes, there are types that look almost blue - like my 'little blue pot'. They don't stay blue of course, but they pass through a blue-ish stage.

My grandmother had one when I was a kid that had peppers so blue it was striking! In the end they turned red, but they were gorgeous in their blue stage. I wish so badly I had asked her for seeds!

Even when I googled 'blue pepper plants/fruits', I saw ones that had a true blueness to them! I want some real bad, and I might even order them if it comes down to it. I am on the hunt...

1156-4.gif

Forum members have been seeking a true blue variety for years
I've seen some fake, photoshopped blue peppers but the closest to blue that I've heard about or grown is the filius blue, but its really more purple than blue.

Yes, I saw the filius blue type too, but they weren't what I was looking for. I am determined to find some like my grandmother's...

For now, I will just enjoy my 'little blue pot' variety.

garden01-1.gif

The Hollyberry Lady said:
Yes, I saw the filius blue type too, but they weren't what I was looking for. I am determined to find some like my grandmother's...

Are you sure your memory isn't playing a trick on you? I'm not even sure it is possible to get a blue chile without GMO, and then it wouldn't be a chile IMO.

You must understand, they weren't blue permanently - they passed through a stage of blue with other colors also, and then turned red in the end. I remember them distinctly.

Even the type I have currently, called 'little blue pot' definitely have a blue-ish hue to the fruits at a certain point, but nothing like my Nanny's! Wish I could find them.

Here's a picture of the seed packet for 'little blue pot'. Although definitely purple, they do have a blue-ish hue to them when they reach a certain shade.

I love them...

DSCI0904.jpg

Good heaven's yes, Ballzworth! By the way - there's more like 6 plants, not three!!!

: O

I've been stuffing numerous pepper plants in pots, for years. It is one of my most favorite things.

Oh yeah...

I am off to sow some more pepper seeds right now:

~ Numex Twilight
~ Numex Centennial
~ Black Cuban
~ Purple pepper
~ Violetta
~ Black Scorpion Tongue

Welcome

Welcome Hollyberry,

I too am fairly new but have been just a visitor for the past few years.

There is lots of interesting stuff here and one could spend a lot of time just studying. (The Hot Pepper University).

In that time, I think I have recognized Potawie as being a Canuk that has the most experience in propagating hot peppers. I thought I knew something about peppers then visited his photo page and became humbled rather quickly.

London, Ontario is just one of those places in Canada designed to grow hot peppers (I have family there and frequented pubs at Western in my youth). Summer starts when, around April with winter peering its head in December. I have 2 months of summer sometimes ... think I'll go turn the furnace on and bring what I have grown inside to warm up! (for those members in places like Australia and Thailand a furnace is a device that usually runs on oil or natural gas and heats your home to maintain a constant heat of 20 Celsius usually because it is -20 C outside).

.... love your graphic pictures.

you sow more seeds at this point? I take it you have success growing indoors over the winter? I'm very curious about this living fairly close to you. do you use heating lights? I'd love to do the same thing if you have any advice.

Yes, I grow peppers all year round. I have a fluorescent as well as a metal halide light system. I also just leave some in my south and east windows. You'll see this winter...

2979-1.gif

Back