• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Greetings from Peru

BrianS said:
According to the locals around here these Green Rocotos are ripe. I am kinda skeptical although I did get some seeds from them just in case
15qyfer.jpg

I understand your skepticism as it is seen on the photo that they are starting to mature to yellow, so it is more than likely that they are not ripe as green...:lol:

The white/purple "Arnaucho Purple" looks very similar to Aji Omnicolor which I have been growing for some years - Omnicolor matures to red - you may need to get seeds from red pods if you want to grow this one... By the way, Aji Omnicolor is one of my favourite peppers because it is early, productive, tasty, hot and very pretty...:cool:

Enjoy your stay in Peru, thanks for sharing your trip with us! I hope you find more interesting varieties...

cmpman1974 said:
Is that Caihua a pepper? If so, that's crazy. :) Let me know.

Chris

Caihua is also called Achocha (Cyclanthera pedata) and is a member of the cucumber family. You can find more information when using the term Achocha...

Thos of you that live in W Texas, New Mexico and AZ just think you live in a desert LOL. THIS is a desert! A wet year is when they have over 1 inch of rain!
t6rorl.jpg

I was planning to go fishing today on the Pacific Ocean but the surf was coming in and the seas were high. Oh well, I will be here all next week as well
21c7f4.jpg

This is adobe bricks which is a common building material along the desert coast where wood is scarce
2j4sn4m.jpg

My Father in Law, Daughter and myself taking a break earlier today
ojkwn.jpg

This morning we took a stroll down to the local market near my In Laws home in Lima. The lady that works there likes to pose for me hahaha
hu3s6u.jpg

This is called Zapallo "Macre" which is a squash or pumpkin looking thing that is very common here. There are 2 types of these Zapallos that are grown here along the coast and I have seeds of both varieties
r8tqms.jpg

Much to my delight I managed to score some of the large Red Rocoto peppers in the market.

vg3blt.jpg

These nice red pods of heavenly delight makes my mouth water and burn all at the same time LOL
2qajp8g.jpg

I am sooo jealous. Been to Peru 3 times and absolutely love it there...especially Arequipa!
Was that the Nazca desert?

Nice pics Brian, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to go to Peru, you are lucky. Also, I guess I was ignorant, I didn't know there where deserts there.

Pepperfreak said:
Nice pics Brian, thanks for sharing. I have always wanted to go to Peru, you are lucky. Also, I guess I was ignorant, I didn't know there where deserts there.

Obviously it isant all desert here. These are some pics from up in the Andes Mtns
15yg8b4.jpg

j93ibl.jpg

24lmpll.jpg

14cqpp4.jpg

This was the highest point we went into the Andes. This was on the way to Huancayo. I nearly passed out in the bus from the altitude and thin air. It was truly a beautiful place though

zr7km.jpg

2crxci0.jpg

This is the town of Huancayo. I felt like I was at the end of the world up there. You are seriously a long ways from everywhere here. The closest place of any significance is Lima which is about 6 1/2 hours away.
2dgssoi.jpg

2dahsgj.jpg

I am just sick that this pic turned out to be blurry. It is the church on the main square in Huancayo and was built in 1813
1601jtf.jpg

Pepperfreak said:
Simply splendid photos. I just love the mountains! What types of wildlife have you seen?

I didnt see any wildlife however I didnt get too far off the beaten path. The air is so thin there and the altitude so high that it is hard to do much walking up there. It makes the Rockies look like mole hills LOL

Back