Greetings from Trinidad

funny you should say that, I saw one when I was out cycling yesterday on the side of the road, about 4 inches across

xgrafcorex said:
welcome! you happen to live where my favorite species of tarantula is native. ever see any tarantulas there? ;)

cool lennyk! you don't happen to know what colors it was, or even better what species or common name?

chiliman - nah..4" is a subadult. baby tarantulas are usually pretty small..i'd guess the largest ones right of of their eggs are about half an inch or so. the species i'm talking about gets up to about 7" tops full grown. average i'd say is more about 6" though. :think:

IMG_6546s.jpg

i don't know what kind of spiders they used in arachnophobia honestly. could've been an aussie tarantula for that one at the end..but i can't remember.

well I'll be!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099052/trivia

"The small spiders used in the film were Avondale spiders (Delena Cancerides), a harmless species from New Zealand that were provided by Landcare Research in Auckland. Despite their fierce appearance, this spider is docile member of the crab-spider family and are, in fact, harmless to humans. They were not allowed back in New Zealand for quarantine reasons. The giant "spider" used in the film was a species of a bird-eating tarantula, which attains an 8" legspan or more. Those types of tarantula are not easy to handle and can give a nasty bite. The spiders in the film were managed and handled by famed entomologist."

I still think they were Aussie spiders...

I got hold of a 7 pod pepper yesterday,
played brave and
cut a piece about the size of a rice grain and put it in my mouth
talk about pain, this thing didnt burn, it was more like a sting
had to drink a few glasses of milk and suck an ice cube for several minutes well

Back