• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Grilled Bacon Wrapped Habanera Poppers

Grilled Bacon Wrapped Habanera Poppers

1 to 2 packages cream cheese, depending on the size of your pepper, room temperature
2 to 4 cloves chopped garlic or granulated, depending on your preference
1/4 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes - a nice handful from the jar
Chopped fresh basil leaves
Pinch salt
10 to 25 habaneras peppers (larger than average size will make them easier to stuff and go for the rounder plump ones not the shriveled guys.)
1/2 to 1 pound thinly sliced bacon (Pork Fat Rulez!) (Not the sweet stuff either)
Wood Toothpicks

Preheat the grill.
Mix each package of cream cheese with chopped garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and a dash of chopped basil. Add a pinch of salt. Mix until mixture is soft and manageable, about 30 seconds in a small food processor.

Slice each habanera lengthwise on 1 side, being careful not to cut the habanera in half. Remove the seeds if you don't think your friends can handle the heat, otherwise leave'em and enjoy watching your friends shed a few extra tears. hehe... Depending on your pepper, you may have to slice around the stem of the pepper to create a manageable opening to squeeze the filling in.

Fill either a pastry bag, or your choice of tools with the filling. Use something that will allow you to squeeze the filling into the opening of the pepper with ease. I've used a plastic frosting tool, cookie press, and even just a small spoon to squeeze the filling in. However you choose, insert a liberal amount of filling into each habanera. Be careful not to overfill as the filling may spurt out during cooking.

Wrap each pepper with 1 to 2 strips of bacon, securing the opening in the pepper. Secure the bacon with a toothpick (best to soak the toothpicks first, to prevent burning on the BBQ). This also helps the habanera from falling into the BBQ (you're bound to lose at least 1, oh well). Long metal or wood skewers also work well for large amounts.

BBQ the peppers until they lightly roasted or until the bacon is fully cooked. Use some foil to cook on if your peppers are cooking or burning too fast on a HOT BBQ. I like to use indirect heat here and cook them up slow so that the bacon cooks but the thin habanera doesn’t fall apart.

Serve 'em up and watch your friends squirm with delight!

dreamtheatervt said:
You should post pictures of these...they sound really good.

I only recently found this board. Next time I make them I will put up pictures.

I do have pictures of a serious sammich I made last week that was smouldering hot. I'll try and post it.

Oh man, this sounds really good. I'm definitely going to make these over the summer.

Thanks for the good recipe.

This seriously made my mouth water just reading it. I'm gonna make these as a graduation present for myself once I get my diploma in my grubby lil hands!

Back