Grinding herbs and spices

I am enjoying mixing spices and sometime herbs to make a certain style of seasoning from scratch.

I'm using a mortar and pestle at the moment but I would like to try and get the mix finer than the mortar and pestle can provide.

Do you think a coffee grinder would work? Or does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get the mixtures ground really fine.

I'm not expecting super fine but I would like to try and get it better than still having small chunks in it!!

Maybe consider one of these-
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/country_living_mill.aspx
This is a hand-crank grain mill. Very sturdy, and it can get spices to the consistency of flour, or anything chunky-ier than that. It's a little spendy on this site, but there are other models and prices, this is just one idea. There are electric versions also.

This grain millwould also be something for more of a quantity processing than a small batch amount. If you have a cup or two of mix, that might make it worth breaking out the big grinder. For smaller amounts, a "dedicated"-for-spices-only coffee grinder will get you started for about $25.

PS- if you use a coffee grinder for your daily cup-o-jo, buy a DIFFERENT COLOR for your spice grinder! "Blue Mountain Habanero Oregano" might wake you up in ways you may not appreciate!

it'sallgood~

Yeah the old mully mulcher should do a good enough job pip. If it's good enough for the 'erb then it's good enough for the herb!

The coffee grinder works fine for me. Even if you fill one up it only needs a few seconds to grind to a powder. Just don't use it for coffee after.... :mouthonfire:

My GF's Grandma uses a mortar and pestle for wet jobs and the coffee grinder for dry things. About as wet as you can go is something like lemon grass. I would not reccommend it for things like basil unless you want a runny paste.

Deathtosnails said:
My GF's Grandma uses a mortar and pestle for wet jobs and the coffee grinder for dry things. About as wet as you can go is something like lemon grass. I would not reccommend it for things like basil unless you want a runny paste.

Good to know, I've got lemon grass growing at the moment.

Fresh is best, my GF's family process most of their lemon grass (via the coffe grinder, rough chopped and whole stalks) in one go and freeze it. Doesn't seem to make a huge difference to the flavour. But they grow LOTS of lemon grass and use LOTS. hehehehe

thanks for the info DTS, that's a good point.

Just for interest sake I was making a Baharat spice mix. It's also known as Lebanese Spice as fair as I know

4 parts black pepper
3 parts coriander seeds
3 parts cinnamon
3 parts cloves
4 parts cumin seeds
1 part cardamom pods
3 parts nutmeg
6 parts paprika

I don't know if this is the exact mix used traditionally, it was what I found on a web site and every thing I found all said the same basic recipe.

It has a real strong cumin small but then the slightly sweeter smell of the coriander seeds and cinnamon comes through. I really like it but will wait for a trial with food.

You can use it as a rub or add olive oil and lime juice and use it as a mariande. I'm going to try it as a rub tomorrow night!!

Have you tried dry heating the spices? Just preheat a small frypan to medium hot. Add spices whole and keep stirring until you just catch a whiff of them. Remove from heat, cool and process. Makes a HUGE difference tot the aromatic oils released :)

yeah mate I do that with the dry spices I put in my curries.....and I love roasted fennel!!!

Totally agree with you, it completely changes the dynamics of the spice

moyboy said:
thanks for the info DTS, that's a good point.

Just for interest sake I was making a Baharat spice mix. It's also known as Lebanese Spice as fair as I know

4 parts black pepper
3 parts coriander seeds
3 parts cinnamon
3 parts cloves
4 parts cumin seeds
1 part cardamom pods
3 parts nutmeg
6 parts paprika

I don't know if this is the exact mix used traditionally, it was what I found on a web site and every thing I found all said the same basic recipe.

It has a real strong cumin small but then the slightly sweeter smell of the coriander seeds and cinnamon comes through. I really like it but will wait for a trial with food.

You can use it as a rub or add olive oil and lime juice and use it as a mariande. I'm going to try it as a rub tomorrow night!!

IMHO, there is a serious imbalance between the ingredients shown above.
If you tell me for what specific usage you are preparing the spice mix, I can offer my opinion.

NJA

moyboy said:
I'm using a mortar and pestle at the moment but I would like to try and get the mix finer than the mortar and pestle can provide.

moyboy said:
I'm not expecting super fine but I would like to try and get it better than still having small chunks in it!!

I feel the pain! You should have seen me in the kitchen the other day trying to pulverize fenugreek seeds...

I do own a coffee grinder, but would you believe, I actually use it for coffee beans? I'm seriously considering purchasing a second one though!

Speaking of using coffee grinders for the original purpose has anyone had cajun coffee? My cousin sent me several containers of it already ground plus a bag, about 2-3 pounds, of beans. I think I need to share some because that is a LOT of coffee. We just received it yesterday so have not tried it for flavor.

My personal preference would be a Magic Bullet and here is why:

1. I have found that coffee grinders leak some dust into the air while in use which burns the ol'nose
2. Coffee grinders can not grind or mix up liquid substances
3. Coffee grinders can not grind up fresh peppers
4. You can not make individual Margaritas with a coffee grinder

Now that I have pointed out all of the short comings of a coffee grinder, I'll point out all of the benefits to a Magic Bullet. You can be the judge....

1. Magic Bullets all have a rubber O-ring completely sealing the unit
2. Magic Bullets are dishwasher safe
3. Magic Bullets are great for grinding fresh spices and dried hot peppers
3. Magic Bullets will grind as coarse or fine as wanted
4. Magic bullets will grind, mix everything that a blender can do

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
IMHO, there is a serious imbalance between the ingredients shown above.
If you tell me for what specific usage you are preparing the spice mix, I can offer my opinion.

NJA

I just got that list from a web site and looked at a few others that had the same basic thing........I'm not making the spice for a dedicated meal or anything, I just read about the Mixture on a site I'm looking at getting some spices from and thought it would be cool to try as I had all the ingredients listed.........:)

Imbalance or not, it smells and tates great, and i'm looking forward to trying it tonight. :)

Pepperfreak said:
My personal preference would be a Magic Bullet and here is why:

1. I have found that coffee grinders leak some dust into the air while in use which burns the ol'nose
2. Coffee grinders can not grind or mix up liquid substances
3. Coffee grinders can not grind up fresh peppers
4. You can not make individual Margaritas with a coffee grinder

Now that I have pointed out all of the short comings of a coffee grinder, I'll point out all of the benefits to a Magic Bullet. You can be the judge....

1. Magic Bullets all have a rubber O-ring completely sealing the unit
2. Magic Bullets are dishwasher safe
3. Magic Bullets are great for grinding fresh spices and dried hot peppers
3. Magic Bullets will grind as coarse or fine as wanted
4. Magic bullets will grind, mix everything that a blender can do

PF,

I have a coffee grinder, food processor and blender! I'm not sure the coffee grinder lets dust in the air while grinding, but it does after lifting the lid! But I like it for making spice from dried peppers. For ripe ones, I use the processor - it's not a fancy one in that all it does is chop or grind, but it does that part great. And if Linda wants a mixed drink with sauce, spice, ice and alcohol, the blender does the trick!

Mike

Back