• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

grocery store pepper id

so, i am not looking for an exact id, most bulk store peppers may have some hybrid in them.

i picked these guys up today because of their shape and being in the orange hab bin thought i would see how they fair - there were others with this shape and many orange hab shaped. the flavour is mild orange hab but definitely chinense flavouring. flesh heat is jalapeno hot. flesh with placenta is cayenne hot. not really sweet, more towards the bitter aspect of an orange hab. if you like orange hab but not their heat, this guy would be a good fit.

would anyone like to guess as to what they most resemble?

Id say scotch bonnets as a store over here in the uk has recently had some of these in, but red ones, first time ive seen them this shape in person but they were labelled scotch bonnets tasted the same as ones i buy on a regular from there but normal shape.

they are indeed YELLOW JAMAICAN MUSHROOM (C. ANNUM)

i have grown them twice and they look the same in every way

the stem and the seed and placenta structure tell me its not bonnet pepper and i doubt there anywhere near as hot as a S.B.

thanks your friend joe

bringing back this thread as i have finally harvested some pods.

so i grew out some plants 3 survived. one plant gave pods like the original(view first post) the other two delivered elongated pods.
the plant themselves look the same; plant #1, pods like the original. plant #2, pods 2 inches long. plant #3 pods 3 inches long.

here are a couple of facts: the plants grew fast. they flowered fast. they produced fruit fast - faster than most of my annuums. i would be hazarding a guess but the commercial producer created this breed with the intention of being a strong, early producer with attractive shape(the perfume shape). from the commerical producer's original seed, a farmer would always get pods like in the starting post or my plant #1, any farmer saving the seed from the original would end up with my results or a possible 1/3 perfume shape. all three plant fruit tasted the same, mild orange hab with mild stinging heat.

i will toss the seeds from the original pods and keep seed from plant #1 and try again in 2015 to get pods like the original, hopefully stabilizing the hybrid.

here are some pics:
plant #1, pods like the original:

plant #2, pods 2 inches long: (i didn't take pics of plant #3 pods-i ate them!)

well, let's see what happens in 2015, thanks for viewing.

Back