• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Ground or Earthbox?

So I have two Earthboxes that go on my back patio, and room in the veggie garden for approx. 13 plants, plus room at the community garden for 6 - 12 more. What I'm trying to decide is which plants to put where. So my question is which tends to be taller, the sweet/mild peppers, or the hot ones? We have frequent strong winds here, and if I put something too tall in the Earthboxes, they tend to blow over.

Here is my growlist, if that helps.

Aji Panca
Aji Yellow
Alma Paprika
Ancho Gigantia
Ancho San Luis
Chilhaucle Rojo
Chimayo
Cosa Arrugada
College 64
Czechoslovakian Black
El Oro De Ecuador
Frank's
Fresno
Georgia Flame
Giant Szegedi
Jalapeno M
Jimmy Nardello
Joe E. Parker
Kalocsai V2
Lemon Drop
Pasilla Bajio
Peppadew
Puya
Sandia
Santa Fe Grande
Serrano Tampiqueno

Thanks for your help!

Which plant will be taller will have nothing to do with whether they are sweet or picante.
Plant size will vary with species; check the seed packages for plant size.

I place my EB's adjacent to the ground and build a simple wire screen with a couple of T-posts. This allows me to tie the plants as they grow to the wire.

Mine have a trellis to tie the plants to, but once the peppers, tomatoes, or whatever get full size the whole thing is top heavy. These Earthboxes sit on a concrete patio, so there is no way to stake them down. I do have them as close to the house as possible to minimize their exposure to wind, but it seems like there's always that one storm ...

Which plant will be taller will have nothing to do with whether they are sweet or picante.
Plant size will vary with species; check the seed packages for plant size.

A lot of my seeds were received in trades and swaps, so no information on size on the packets. Guess I'll just have to do an internet search on each one.

Another option is to take wire fencing material (5 foot high is what I use) and encircle the EB's. Tie the plants to the fencing material with twine as needed.

So I've found approximate heights for everything on my growlist, except the following:

Aji Panca
Cosa Arrugada
Chilhaucle Rojo
Puya

Anyone grown these that can give me an idea on the plant height?

Back