• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grow light on outdoor plants?

With the changing season, my Poblano plants are now getting less sun due to the shade of my neighbor's house. Reasoning that demolishing my neighbor's house was not likely to promote neighborhood unity, I was wondering if a grow light could replace some of the photons needed by the plants.

So, I purchased a GE grow light bulb (the one for flowering and fruiting), put it in a clamp-on light, and clamped it on the fence above the plants (~24" away). At first, I ran it for about 7 hours from about 9 am to 4 pm (mind you, the instructions for the light advise the user to run it for 12 hours at a distance of 18" from indoor plants). After a couple of days, the leaves on the upper branches of the plants displayed what I call "shrink-wrap syndrome" (SWS). Not dry, brown, and crispy, but withered, dark green, and pliable. The fruits displayed no adverse effects.

Applying my advanced powers of deduction, I came to suspect that the grow light contributed to SWS. I decided to cut back. I went to 4 hours total "on" time at 30 minute on/off cycles during the day. After a couple of days of that, there was more SWS. Standing back and looking at the plants from a couple yards away, one can see the "zone of withering" corresponding to distance from the light bulb. I discontinued photon therapy on the plants.

After a week of no therapy, the affected leaves look better, but not back to full volume. I'm back to looking for the most efficient way to raze my neighbor's house.

My ultimate goal is red Poblanos. Any ideas for achieving increased ripening are appreciated. Cheers!

dragonsfire said:
Pictures would help :)

How's this?

Plants with Grow Light:
Poblanos 5Oct2019PNG.PNG

SWS:
SWSPNG.PNG

solid7 said:
It's virtually useless.   Sorry. 

Right. I apologize if my post sounded like a request for reviews of the grow light. I'm really looking for hints on getting my peppers to ripeness before cold weather starts.

Pepper_Jack said:
 I'm really looking for hints on getting my peppers to ripeness before cold weather starts.
Looks like pests to me. Not sure anything at this point in your Virginia season will get them to full ripe. But getting rid of pests won't hurt and a step in the right direction for sure...

Curling leaves and on the older bigger leafs the tiny pinholes in the leaves look like spider mite damage to me. Any webs in the leaf curls, or any web strands anywhere on the plant..?
 If its spider mites, holding a leaf up to the light its easy to see all the tell tale tiny pin holes that let light right thru, thats a sure sign of spider mites....

Spray with neem a heavy drenching dose asap.

Anyhow, thats what this rookie sees in your below pic...
 might help to take a hd pic at 12:00 high straight down starring into the middle of the plant showing all the new growth areas.
post-15665-0-81735800-1570289781.png

My plants did that this year, and I think it might have been from being too dry. Either that or my ph of my tap water was causing it.

And I don't think that light is doing anything outside. Aside from hanging 1000 watts over it you are probably just wasting electricity. Or maybe try running it while its dark out. Idk lol. If you bring in your pods at frost, a good portion will ripen on the counter

Back