• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grow light recommendations for a newb!

Can anyone recommend a good small grow light setup for starting seeds. I'm gonna do containers a few plants at a time so I don't need anything massive. Google brings up so many options I'm not sure what to go with. Thanks in advance!

go cfl bulbs or something like T5 or T8 at that point, cheap can fit in smaller areas no heat and not expensive, perfect for small things

It depends on your budget really!
Cheap = CFL
More spendy= T5

It also depends on how many plants, if you are growing a decent amount and have a little cash to throw around, I'd say go with T5

Plenty of cheap LED panels around too .... Look at your grow area first and then go from there. Space, ventilation, proximity to plants will dictate your options and then you choose which is best. The old saying 'there is more then one way to skin a cat' comes to mind

I like LEDs but I make my own,don't like the cheep ones on the net.
I like t12 Fluorescent lights in 5000-6500k.
T 8 are too hot for my shelves and don't or didn't come in the 5000-6500k I liked in the lumens that the t12 come in.

My grow room has no windows,it stays 80 degrees+ even in the winter.
Gets too hot with only 2 shelves of 8 t8 fluoros on them.
t12's were no problem.
I think the t8 ballasts get a lot hotter.

Never tried halides or cfl's due to heat...

LEDs are best if you get the right ones.
The cheap ones are crap for the most part.5mm LEDs with no lumens.
Good for suplimental light for branching but too weak for what the seller claims they will do.
Some will work for sprouts but only that at best.
They aren't any better than fluoros.
I'd build my own LED panel for a few $ more if you want to go with LEDs.
LEDs can be built with the wavelength plants use.
Other light sources aren't,in general as light wavelength specific.

Get shop lights and get bulbs in the highest lumens you can find in 5000-6500 k for your starter plants.
Cheapest way to go I think.

The sun system HPS are nice little lamps, built in ballast and 150W of HPS goodness, definitely a nice, high lumen option for starting out.
I've got a 400W switchable in a 4x4 tent. Half the tent is dedicated to propogation however and I use 42 watt CFL 6700K then move them under the 400W HPS when I start to see flowers.

+1 for 150 Hps. More lumens than 150 watts of fluorescent and your plants will probably require less 'hardening off' when you move them outside. Only downsides are cost and if you want to upgrade you have to buy a more powerful ballast.

Back