• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Grow Light Recommendations?

I have a light ballast by GLO or Power-Glo that takes 34"/85cm bulbs, I'm a complete novice when it comes to grow lights so excuse my basic knowledge on the topic. I'm assuming the ballast is primarily for an aquarium but I'm sure it could be used as a fairly decent grow light.
My question is what would be a good bulb for vegetative growth or if this is a waste of time can anyone recommend a light setup that won't break the bank and not consume a massive amount of power? Also, someone I know mentioned 18,000K is what I need for good growth.. What does that mean and is that correct?

there are far better (and more expensive ones) out there, but I use standard $10 4' shop lights from lowes. In each greenhouse box I have 2 daylight, 2 plant growth, and 2 sunlight bulbs and my plants grow fine. Work for me and didn't break the bank. Everything bought at lowes. All lights are T12. I haven't even noticed a difference in electric bill and in all I have 14 of these light fixtures on for about 18 hours/day.

well for a good growth glow lamp. its better to have a metal halide lamp where it gives blue spectrum for vegetative growth and for flowering & fruiting the deep-red spectrum is needed.

18,000 kelvin is just the color temperature of the lamps. lower to goes it get warmer colour. like a 2100k sodium vapor lamp and 6500k lamps is a cool white lamp ( CFL ,fluorescent lamp) higher it goes the more blue it gets. 18 000 k lamps are used for growing algae.

800px-Kelvin_Temperature_Chart.jpg

Different stages of plant growth require different spectra. The initial vegetative stage requires blue spectrum of light, whereas the later "flowering" stage is usually done with red–orange spectra.

Back