• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering grow setup for winter

Hi all,

I need some advice for setting up a grow area for when the season ends. I was thinking of buying some kind of a HID lamp (with ballast and reflector) and a tent.

I don't know how much space I really need for peppers. What I want is to start about 14 varieties this fall (I'll plant about 120 seeds, but don't know how many I will keep in the end), but also overwinter some of the old ones (don't know how many yet).

How much space do I need for pepper plants? The old ones got pretty big, so I don't think I can keep them producing overwinter (not enough space under lights).

Is a 120x120x200 (cm) tent big enough? Do I really need a HID lamp or can I just use CFLs (I have 2 85W bulbs)? Concerning the HID is a 400W enough or would it be better if I go for a 600W? Also, with the tend and HID, I'm thinking I also need ventilation.

I live in an apartment and don't have a basement, so the growing space is pretty limited.

Thanks!

I have a 4×4 tent with a 600 watt electronic ballast and a 4" fan cooling the light. My tent stays around 84° and that's with passive intake air I can drop the temps another 5° with active air intakes. You can always trim back older plants for overwintering and they will be fine for next year. I bought all my grow gear from amazon and only have around $500 in everything.

Back