• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grow Station

So I'm about 1/2 way through making my grow station, entirely from stuff lying around the house. the only 2 things I had to buy were the emergency blankets (2) and a tin of spray adhesive.

Shelves001.jpg

There a 5 shelves but I have only lined 4 of them, coz it's pointless lining the top one.
Shelves002.jpg

Here is a fluro light I had which I have connected half of an extension lead to.
Now all I have to do is put it all back together.
I'll post more pics as I go.

If anyone has any tips let me know as this is a first for me.

Cheers
Jas

millworkman said:
How big will it be and how many lights are you going to have. Looking good so far btw.

Hey mate,
It will be about 4ft 7 in high x 2ft 4 in wide and 1ft deep so only a small one but it will get the job done. By the time it's finished it will have 4 lights in it but they will come at a later-more-affordable date.

Very nice...I want to build something this summer for next year. I got such a late start this year it isn't even funny. Next season I hope to have seedlings in March so that my plants (tomatoes and peppers) will be about 8-10 weeks old by the time they hit the garden.

Yeah, thats my plan also. it may stay reasonably warm here in winter but I want my Super Hots to get the best start they can. Will be finished this grow station tomorrow so will post pics and hopefully get a few improvement tips while I'm at it.

Here are a few more pics although I still haven't finished the grow station yet(spent the day entertaining my 8mnth old boy), but I'm a lot closer. I'm going to use the top 2 shelves for light boxes and the bottom two for a gradual hardening off...
This is before Ive trimmed the emergency blanket up.
Growstation001.jpg

This is a view from the back
Growstation003.jpg

Just seeing if the old greenhouse cover fits.... and it does!!! WOOT!! Will be glueing more of the emergency blanket to the inside of the top half of the greenhouse cover for the light boxes. I'll also be drilling a few holes in the shelves for limited ventilation.
Growstation004.jpg

Any thoughts for improvements???

Ok so here it is finished, just needs to go to it's final resting place in the spare room.
This is the light all the way down. will go further if and when I decide to take the shelf out. It is hanging from 2 pullies with 2 x 5mm nylon ropes which go out through 2 holes drilled in the top shelf (roof).
FinishedGrowStation001.jpg

The light is on an auto timer but I'm not sure how long to leave it on for... Was thinking about 16hrs???
FinishedGrowStation002.jpg

This is the front flap closed held down with 2 x velcro pads
FinishedGrowStation004.jpg

This is with the flap open.
FinishedGrowStation005.jpg

So what do you guys think? Hope you like it and if you have any improvements I could make let me know please.

Cheers
Jas

I had no Idea this would happen but I think it's great for ease of viewing plants with out having to open the front flap. The pic does not do it justice but it's clear as day to see through.
2waymirror001.jpg

Looks really good mate! I'm fairly new too, so don't have much good info for you. but i do have a question, are you going to run a fan for the temporary hardening shelf?

Yeah I was thinking about going down to Super Cheap Auto and picking up a small fan or 2 for a car or camper. Don't want it too strong though.

Brother

Your living in pepper paradise at your location...

Id lose everything.

Wait till this August to germinate your seeds, get a month growing under fluros inside no heat mats required.

Mid September get em out side and they will kick ass for you all the way till now (May) proberly June for you ya lucky bastard....

billyboy:)

billyboy said:
Brother

Your living in pepper paradise at your location...

Id lose everything.

Wait till this August to germinate your seeds, get a month growing under fluros inside no heat mats required.

Mid September get em out side and they will kick ass for you all the way till now (May) proberly June for you ya lucky bastard....

billyboy:)

Yeah, I'm just trying to get an extremely early start. See how it goes any way.... I'll be under fluros for around 2 months for those that need it, but I think the big enough ones will then be inside plants till end of August. With a bit of luck I'll get good germination rates (seeds from THSC so pretty confident), and will get enough happening to help others out when the time comes.

very lucky man you are, and very jealous man i am! it's just starting to feel like autumn here now. gets up to 20 C in the day, and around 10 C at night. have started a few colder climate types to hopefully grow through winter, but we shall see how that goes

jealousy is a curse ;)... But that is unfortunate still a while to go for you yet. those temps are the EXTREME lowest we'll get here mid winter. I've just sowed about fifty seeds so hopefully I haven't jumped the gun by toooooooo much. if it gets too cold having them under shelter in some warmth won't be too much of a problem as i live in a house on stilts. just have to get the lights set up for them under there.

Back