• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Grow temperature?

Just wondered if anyone knows of a source for this info please?.....

I would like to know which of the varieties will grow ok in the garden.... The British summertime can be unpredictable, and I have limited greenhouse space...

I'm certainly planning to keep the Chinense varieties under cover, if nothing else....

Are you on Facebook? If not, join up, as there is a group called CGUK, which is Chilli Growers UK. Lots of very knowledgeable folks there.

C.pubescens varieties would work fine, as would most C.annuums and C.baccatums. C.chinense need a longer growing season, so you`d struggle growing them outside unless you start them in january indoors (which you may have already). 

I do not like to subject plants to temps below 50°F if possible, but they will tolerate temps down to the mid-40's without too much of an issue if they are hardened off properly. Similarly, I find anything over 90°F to be detrimental to growth and production of chillis, unless you can keep the roots cooler, e.g. in-ground, with a good layer of mulch. The one exception is C.pubescens. They tend to crap out badly above 80°F and prefer it to be 70-75°F. 

Thanks!

I've joined up on the Fbook page.

Almost all my plants were started off around November indoors, so should have a good long season.... I will be hardening them off anyhow. I have a few plants which I overwintered - but some look like twigs right now!

Sounds like I will need to keep the greenhouse well ventilated in higher temps then... I don't have any Pubescens yet, but I will keep that in mind.

I want to give the plants the best chance possible... I want to keep the Chinenses under cover, plus others. But my gut feeling tells me the common (garden centre) varieties will probably cope outdoors if any will.... I dont have any specific info on the other varieties I have, other than hearing that Pepperoncini prefers cooler climates...

Nigel said:
Are you on Facebook? If not, join up, as there is a group called CGUK, which is Chilli Growers UK. Lots of very knowledgeable folks there.

C.pubescens varieties would work fine, as would most C.annuums and C.baccatums. C.chinense need a longer growing season, so you`d struggle growing them outside unless you start them in january indoors (which you may have already). 

I do not like to subject plants to temps below 50°F if possible, but they will tolerate temps down to the mid-40's without too much of an issue if they are hardened off properly. Similarly, I find anything over 90°F to be detrimental to growth and production of chillis, unless you can keep the roots cooler, e.g. in-ground, with a good layer of mulch. The one exception is C.pubescens. They tend to crap out badly above 80°F and prefer it to be 70-75°F. 
Just love the endless info you seem to provide along with your pod reviews informative and entertaining. You should consider writing a book, Hot peppers from A to Z or something of the sort.

HP22BH said:
Just love the endless info you seem to provide along with your pod reviews informative and entertaining. You should consider writing a book, Hot peppers from A to Z or something of the sort.
Thanks, that is really kind of you to say and I really appreciate it. 

There are people on THP who have forgotten more than I`ll ever know about growing Capsicums.  :halo:

Hey, Nigel! I know it's off topic, but what's your YouTube username?

Just one more question on this topic....

Is there any preference which of the annuums I put outside? Larger fruit ones? Small fruit ones??

Thanks!

Don't know what you mean by keeping the chinense under cover, but...

Annuums can tolerate both high and low temperatures better, though the former is due to less water loss from the leaves so they don't need watered as often.  Considering your climate and that chinense take longer to ripen, I'd leave those in the greenhouse and put all the annuums outside.  Small vs large fruit doesn't make a difference.

Dave2000 said:
Don't know what you mean by keeping the chinense under cover, but...

Annuums can tolerate both high and low temperatures better, though the former is due to less water loss from the leaves so they don't need watered as often.  Considering your climate and that chinense take longer to ripen, I'd leave those in the greenhouse and put all the annuums outside.  Small vs large fruit doesn't make a difference.

I meant keeping the Chinenses in the greenhouse, so as they have better chance to grow and ripen.

I wondered if the larger ones were more tolerant, or needed longer to grow\ripen etc... So you just answered my question, thanks :-) I will soon need to start putting plants outside....

Back