• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown,,Tallest plant!!!

Congrats to the winner and everyone that participated.

JB, that's quite the trunk on your entry - would be off to the races if cut back to a bonchi.

Fun thread to read through and I agree, another contest next year would be a great addition to this forum.

dvg

Mine is close to 110, grads to Shane! Great effort to the rest of you.   If I would have kept my first 2 on my patio like the others, the first one's would be about 145 instead of 24"(based on the 2 tallest I have ATM)  they stalled out after I moved em outside in the full sun.

Next year I TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!!!

Thanks errybody!!! I ain't quite counting my chickens yet...but they're crackin them shells!!! Haha...I think John may have shaved a few inches...

For a contest this long, over such diverse growing areas, with so many different variables to come down to just 1.5"??? :crazy:  That's pretty crazy! I'll check back tomorrow to see if it's official!

Congrats to Shane! PSon did a fantastic job too man. Everyone did a good job! It was close as hell!!!!! Here's a parting shot of my Birgits, taken the day after our first frost. Very productive plant. I could pick 50 flowers off that thing every day and still would have loads of pods hanging on it at all times.

wayright said:
You are a sweetheart Annie!  ;)

I am gonna get something together for Shane as well! 

Congrats Shane! I am amazed at your skills man!  :cool:

You are the Growdown King!!!   :dance: 

Happy Halloween!
Kevin

Outta likes Kevin. Awww, shuga! ;)

And you so :cool::  "Growndown King" and "Halloween" rhyme. :party:

Shane,I am not putting return addy on any package. Not having the wifey track me down,good luck trying to stay at 20 varieties next season though!! :shh:

I think most baccatum  will grow into a beast if staked properly. Everyone can do the Birgit again if that is what the majority wants. I have seeds for a C.frutescen that will get 7-8' without any staking or tinkering. It is going to be hard picking something else after seeing what the birgit can do. :crazy:

I have a couple varieties that get some gigantic pods,maybe do a heaviest pod? Longest? Fastest to ripe fruit? If two people want to do something mano y mano would be cool.

Great contest guys. Shane took the lead almost out of the gate and never looked back. Amazing skills you guys have. I vote for another tallest plant competition with a different variety next year. Longest pod and heaviest pod would be great to. I have some Ancient Sweet that were pretty massive at around 10" and as big around as a small bell pepper. At any rate I had a great time following all of your grows. My own plant stalled at a bit over 5' but supplied me with many pods.

Can't wait for next years grow, though I am happy for the off season too. Cheers!

Here's the last shot I took of mine for the season, its a terrible pic and its actually from August but you get the idea.

IMAG0781-1.jpg

Thanks everyone...believe me. I was always looking back at several of y'all gaining on me at an alarming rate! I will be super appreciative of anything that shows up y'all. My "secret" was a whole lot of light in the grow room to kick start them, a VERY deep and wide prepared bed with almost too much N which promotes a longer growth phase before fruiting, plenty of nutes down deep to pull the roots down early. I had two soaker rings, one just below the surface and one about 3' below the surface. I fed weekly using a deep watering of AACT and Kelp teas...oh yeah and for those entering next year don't forget the weekly diesel/kerosene foliar spray!!!

I would like to do another tallest contest as well. Maybe next year we can even talk the boss into awarding some sort of trophy like the foodie throwdowns??? 

Congrats! You guys are some awesome growers. This thread was awesome. If there isn't another one like it next year, Im starting one, because we should keep this up! I've been mia for a bit on the forums but still checked in on this thread all the time. This variety was an awesome choice. Thanks for introducing me to such a tasty pepper. I'll be in Peru this December so I'll report back with some native Birgit shots if possible! Here's my girl. Just over 8ft on the tallest branch pulled up and measured from atop the brick wall. Finally yellowing out and only fed once at the beggining of the season, still pumping pods...winter is almost upon the patio :)

10613184996_9a0e63e35c_b.jpg

Tallest Aji Limon in hanging basket . . . (as long as it's okay to send plants to friend(s) in Manhattan to hang in his office building . . .) Naw, no, no, no. Needs to be easily measurable (oh wow, how intelligent, Annie) . . . weight could be weird as no two sets of scales are equally calibrated. My imagination is tapped: let KEVIN come up with conceive/ coerce another one :dance: .

No worries we will have another contest next year for sho. Just gonna be who can grow the plant the longest outside only  ;)  J kidding

Shane you truly are the grow King. You deserve a crown under you avatar like Kevin said. 

Kep an eye on the mailbox. It should be  :fire:

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Back