• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2014 Tallest plant

A little green for St. Patrick's Day.  :drunk:
3c877559-94bf-4cdf-86af-881d904f05aa_zps23bf1dad.jpg

Just a friendly reminder...and a current one at that of last year's winner!!!
HRAK2lA.jpg

Still kicking...overwintered in place with a little help...even grew about another foot or so. Let's see how tall a Birgits Locoto can get. the Chunchos will be in the same neighborhood. Will be cool to see the two side by side...if I am lucky enough to produce another big one...

stc3248 said:
Just a friendly reminder...and a current one at that of last year's winner!!!
HRAK2lA.jpg

Still kicking...overwintered in place with a little help...even grew about another foot or so. Let's see how tall a Birgits Locoto can get. the Chunchos will be in the same neighborhood. Will be cool to see the two side by side...if I am lucky enough to produce another big one...
They need to look for Malaysia Flight 370 in the top of that thing!

Sheet talking is a must Scott!!!
WByHNLx.jpg

This is the second largest. They all got a little weird leaf curl going on so...

ZFV56Ij.jpg

I put 'em outside. I have 5 backup plants that will stay in the growroom for now.

nH5EWD2.jpg

Second from the left in this pic...this spot grew a 12' Bishops Crow two years ago. It is right behind the Birgits. Not sure how these will like the dappled shade of this part of the yard, so...

3YDsJFE.jpg

I put the other two in these two gaps in the hedge row. Hopefully they fill in nicely!

Hope y'all's are growing well folks!

I had mine under the T5 and they started the leaf curl, I moved them to the T8.

Yours are certainly ahead of mine, and I don't feel (mine) they are ready for the dirt quite yet. They sure do seem to be delicate gals. Although the Northern growers feel we have an advantage, we have the on coming heat that will hurt their development. Time will tell!

That leaf curl is quite simply, fear, fear of being inadequate, not being up to the task.  Did you sa

stc3248 said:
Sheet talking is a must Scott!!!
WByHNLx.jpg

This is the second largest. They all got a little weird leaf curl going on so...

ZFV56Ij.jpg

I put 'em outside. I have 5 backup plants that will stay in the growroom for now.

nH5EWD2.jpg

Second from the left in this pic...this spot grew a 12' Bishops Crow two years ago. It is right behind the Birgits. Not sure how these will like the dappled shade of this part of the yard, so...

3YDsJFE.jpg

I put the other two in these two gaps in the hedge row. Hopefully they fill in nicely!

Hope y'all's are growing well folks!
That leaf curl is quite simply, fear, fear of being inadequate, not being up to the task. 

Did you say a 12' Bishop's Crown??  Surely you meant 12".  I think a pic is in order, not that I don't believe you, but I've never seen a monster plant that big.

Roguejim said:

Did you say a 12' Bishop's Crown??  Surely you meant 12".  I think a pic is in order, not that I don't believe you, but I've never seen a monster plant that big.

I looked back and found only one pic from when it was about 8' taken in August that year. My season goes through the end of December She got to a full 12'. If you've never seen a 12' plant scroll up and look at the birgits I posted. 
gallery_5729_48_408723.jpg

I don't know about Frutescens...but Baccatum love that spot.

stc3248 said:

I looked back and found only one pic from when it was about 8' taken in August that year. My season goes through the end of December She got to a full 12'. If you've never seen a 12' plant scroll up and look at the birgits I posted. 

Damn! I really need to get into our new place asap and get an in ground grow going to have any chance in this. After seeing these pics I don't think I'll have much chance even with the 30 gallon bag I got for it. Still going to give it a good go though!
Updated pic time. Still way behind nearly everyone but finally have true leaves coming in
20140323_133405.jpg

stc3248 said:

Killer! how many hours of sunlight are your plants getting in that spot? What are your Summer highs in Poway? Any need for sun shade screen?

Dang... I had forgotten about this... I don't have much time as before. I'm probably disqualified already, but lmk if I can still be in. Otherwise here she is.

I soaked the seeds I had in chamomile overnight and they broke out of the shell in about 3 weeks and here she is today. Again if I'm out lmk. I'll be updating more often if I stay...

-Walt

Roguejim said:
Killer! how many hours of sunlight are your plants getting in that spot? What are your Summer highs in Poway? Any need for sun shade screen?
Summer highs are at or above 100 for most of July and August...and some of September. I use some cheese cloth to shade the ones in full sun all day. This spot gets only about 4 or 5 hours direct...all early and late. The heat of the day it is filtered through trees. 

Pepper-Guru said:
you guys are already planting!? WTF?
Yeah...probably too soon, but my schedule dictates when I can get stuff done. By the way, I broke out the Fatamango and Strawberry Strain jams you sent in last year's prize package...WOW, that is some fan-freakin-tastic stuff! I had relatives in town and everyone raved about it. A little apprehensive at first...especially with the Strawberry Strain, but neither was too hot at all. Even the heat-haters were impressed and went back for more! Thanks brotha!!! 

Back