• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2015 !!!!

Noah Yates said:
giphy.gif

Yuk it up while you can Chumly!

With 50 bazillion plants to chose from, the humiliation of finishing anywhere lower than first place is gonna sting!

PaulG said:
55 seeds?  What's the matter, are you skeerd of the competition?

There will be 6 or 7 of those 53 that stand out above the rest.... (very noticeably healthier, more robust, and aesthetically pleasing) and they will be my keepers... the rest will be given away.  I have done this with every variety of pepper I am growing (except for the ones of which I had only a few seeds.) 

My first wave of chinenses planted in December was 288 plants... I kept 72 plants and gave away the rest.... 
Second wave of chinenses sown in January was 180 plants... I just selected my favorite 84 and I am giving the rest away tomorrow.

I love doing it this way... because I know that if I had only planted say 5 seeds, all 5 of them could have been ones in the "runt group" after i do my selection.

So why am I being flamed for using 55 seeds to find a phenotype that suites me?  I hardly think its fair to say that I am cheating or somehow using loopholes in the rules for me to start with good genetics.  All I did was pay for my seeds...  Seems pretty tame compared to other things like the use of nuclear radiation, hormones, greenhouses, HID lights, and synthetic fertilizers which some people may or may not be using...

funny-pictures-auto-410769.jpeg

Noah Yates said:

There will be 6 or 7 of those 53 that stand out above the rest.... (very noticeably healthier, more robust, and aesthetically pleasing) and they will be my keepers... the rest will be given away.  I have done this with every variety of pepper I am growing (except for the ones of which I had only a few seeds.) 

My first wave of chinenses planted in December was 288 plants... I kept 72 plants and gave away the rest.... 
Second wave of chinenses sown in January was 180 plants... I just selected my favorite 84 and I am giving the rest away tomorrow.

I love doing it this way... because I know that if I had only planted say 5 seeds, all 5 of them could have been ones in the "runt group" after i do my selection.

So why am I being flamed for using 55 seeds to find a phenotype that suites me?  I hardly think its fair to say that I am cheating or somehow using loopholes in the rules for me to start with good genetics.  All I did was pay for my seeds...  Seems pretty tame compared to other things like the use of nuclear radiation, hormones, greenhouses, HID lights, and synthetic fertilizers which some people may or may not be using...

funny-pictures-auto-410769.jpeg
Makes sense to me.  Do you cull your sprouts while still in the germination tray, or after potting up?

I dont cull any unless 2 come up in the same pot... then I pinch the "later" one.  I treat all of them the same until I can identify the traits I prefer and then separate the "less-desirable phenotypes" from the "more-desirable phenotypes."  I know that this does not guarantee that in the end i will have better plants, but I think it does leave me with a population of plants that are "selected" for my indoor growing conditions.  The others are given away to friends and family.

Jamison said:
Just to prove I'm in the game.

Best post of the day! Thanks for putting this back on track.

There are no rules besides the sowing date of Feb 14. If someone wants to sow a couple days early,that is on them. This is a 9 month marathon,those 2 or 3 days won't mean shit in the end. Some guys were able to put their plants in the ground in March,some like myself,not until June. It will all even out.

Let's see some numbers. What is everyone guessing these plants can get to? 7 feet? 8 feet? Double digits?

Pr0digal_son said:
Best post of the day! Thanks for putting this back on track.
There are no rules besides the sowing date of Feb 14. If someone wants to sow a couple days early,that is on them. This is a 9 month marathon,those 2 or 3 days won't mean shit in the end. Some guys were able to put their plants in the ground in March,some like myself,not until June. It will all even out.
Let's see some numbers. What is everyone guessing these plants can get to? 7 feet? 8 feet? Double digits?
I'd be happy to beat my "effort" from late years growdown lol. I'd think all going well, and doing things right I should be able to, but you master growers will destroy me again in the end. I've got no idea how large these plants can get, but judging from the last 2 years someone's going to have something huge. I'll guess 9, but won't be surprised if 10 pops up at the end.

MeatHead1313 said:
I'd be happy to beat my "effort" from late years growdown lol. I'd think all going well, and doing things right I should be able to, but you master growers will destroy me again in the end. I've got no idea how large these plants can get, but judging from the last 2 years someone's going to have something huge. I'll guess 9, but won't be surprised if 10 pops up at the end.
Hell yeah man. Grow the best plant you can and see where it stacks up. The plant I selected last year was locked up beyond repair. Big disappointment. I had the pom poms out cheering for the next 7 months!

I am going to guess 8'9" as the winner. Hopefully mine!

Back