• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Growdown Throwdown 2016 !!!

Geonerd said:
Great.gif

Came home last night to find Tuco from Tucson had been hammered by a thunderstorm.
I thought he had enough support, but the winds were apparently quite extreme.  (The back yard is a mess!)
Tuco, who had grown to somewhere around 3 feet, suffered a snapped main stem and is back to being a "Sawed off Runt."   :(

That sucks. Too bad Blondie wasn't around to shoot Tuco's rope down.

I've heard this is the last grow down. Have an idea for a grow down throw down next year. Just trying to get an idea of how many of you cats would be interested...

We've done tallest plant, I'm thinking we should do a "Crown goes to the person who can produce the most pods in weight" type thing. 

Same rules as this one has had will apply. germinate on or after Valentines Day, and the contest ends on Halloween. 

Along with the weekly photo update, all pods are to be weighed, logged, and photo'd

I have plenty of varieties that would do well for this, but we can make it ANY variety. 

Who's in?! 

Pepper-Guru said:
I've heard this is the last grow down. Have an idea for a grow down throw down next year. Just trying to get an idea of how many of you cats would be interested...

We've done tallest plant, I'm thinking we should do a "Crown goes to the person who can produce the most pods in weight" type thing. 

Same rules as this one has had will apply. germinate on or after Valentines Day, and the contest ends on Halloween. 

Along with the weekly photo update, all pods are to be weighed, logged, and photo'd

I have plenty of varieties that would do well for this, but we can make it ANY variety. 

Who's in?! 
 Count me in!

Although I would love to see a January germ time as a February germ time leaves me with no real pod production  until fall, with the main crop after the contest closes. Few varieties set in the extreme heat here. 

Regardless I'm game ;)

It's all good!

Devv said:
Count me in!

Although I would love to see a January germ time as a February germ time leaves me with no real pod production  until fall, with the main crop after the contest closes. Few varieties set in the extreme heat here. 

Regardless I'm game ;)

It's all good!
I'm digging a longer window of grow time as well. I'll make a new thread for it and if it catches on, guess we'll go for it.

Pepper-Guru said:
Honestly, I see nothing wrong from New Years to New Years. Make it an entire revolution around our Sun and call it. Whom ever can get the most weight off one plant, in one annual revolution, wins.
Sounds good. My season is short for a lot of varieties. I start the 1st of Feb. usually. Was planning on January next season.

How about Chiltepin? LOL!!!!

Malarky said:
I'd like to try. The variety should be standardized though. They're doing an MOA ScotchBonnet on the Pepperlover Forum on G+

OCD Chilehead said:
Sounds good. My season is short for a lot of varieties. I start the 1st of Feb. usually. Was planning on January next season.
How about Chiltepin? LOL!!!!
We have plenty of time to decide on variety. I'd think a variety with a nice sized pod and high yield in the first place will be a good candidate. MOA is one of those, but any isolated variety that has good and pure genetics will do. Just gonna gather more input and decide.

As for this year's contest my Peruvian Serlano is growing super fast now. I probably won't get close to some of you guys on account of my pruning plan going to hell, but hey, at least I'll have a ton of pods! It's already loaded down :)

Pepper-Guru said:
Honestly, I see nothing wrong from New Years to New Years. Make it an entire revolution around our Sun and call it. Whom ever can get the most weight off one plant, in one annual revolution, wins.
 That I'd like to see. We can all grow indoors and do OW's to get around the rough time ma nature throws at us.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

That sucks. Too bad Blondie wasn't around to shoot Tuco's rope down.

Turns out Tuco is a resilient bugger! 
His remaining stem has just about exploded upward and he's back to the 2+ foot range.
Sure, he's still a sawed off runt, but at least he's in the game.  :)

Well my candidate/wannabe Serlano finally decide to stop fighting the fight. I think I need to air condition my garden :rolleyes:

Oh, I almost forgot, Terry, what the heck? You live in the land of the giants or what? ;)

Just killa dude!

I have neglected my growdown holy mole pasilla completely since May... and it is still about 7 feet tall!!!
I need to give it some more mulch to suppress the weeds and give it a feeding for the first time in 2 months! Also... Ill get some better pics with a tape measure you can actually see!  The tape measure in the background reads just over 6 feet at the top of the post and the HMP stretches what appears to be a foot more above that.

IMG_1387.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Back