contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

This is running way out of hand... those baccatums are such fast growers! :shocked:
That's all the room and lighting I have available, and it's way too early to put them outside... Not sure how I'm going to manage...

The little aji lemon drop is the second plant from the right, front row :)

20170126%20181715%20DMC-LX100%2016.50mm%20f2.80%20ISO200%20P1000924.jpg

Those T8 lamps are grolux lamps that emit pink light by the way. I adjusted the white balance to make the picture look more natural.

dragonsfire said:
Any idea how long I can get away with growing them in the bag? Safe from the Aphids this way, the tape has drastically reduced the population but their still around.

P1100762_AjiLemonDrop-1000_zpshyycbfmf.jpg
I'd say now is a good time!

Masher said:
You could take the scissors to those skyscrapers...not for everybody, but it's an option.
+1 Dan.  I have had good luck topping my Aji Amarillo
when they get too tall for the grow shelf.  It sets them
back a little, but they come back ferocious!

Here are my three Aji LDs I was able to coax out
of the ground. I feel behind already after looking at
the other awesome starts!

IMG_4751.JPG

OMG!!
Look at those monsters?!

Lacking a Death Star laser to illuminate my plant, my entry has fallen woefully far behind the curve.

IMG_9117s.JPG

Fortunately, it's big enough to leave the Ghetto Growroom (5x 23W CFL and aluminum foil) and get outside for some genuine sun!

I'm gonna try using a re-purposed Cone of Silence (any original Get Smart viewers out there?) as a micro-greenhouse.  
On this low-50s day, the interior is a cozy75f.  Maybe I can hope to sorta keep up.   :confused:

IMG_9122s.JPG

That mini-greenhouse should work great - I
imagine you have to keep the vents open on
the sunny days?

Your little plant looks great, nice and healthy!
Just needs a little light love...

dragonsfire said:
Any idea how long I can get away with growing them in the bag? Safe from the Aphids this way, the tape has drastically reduced the population but their still around.

P1100762_AjiLemonDrop-1000_zpshyycbfmf.jpg

Now's a good time! ha BTW what tape have you been using for the aphids? Thats a VERY interesting idea. Does it attract them more so than the plant? I make fungus gnat/fruit fly traps out of plastic bottles. Would love to trap some aphids. 
MarcV said:

Nice shot!
So... what gear are you using? :) I couldn't find any EXIF info...

That shot I took with my GH3 and a Minolta MD Zoom 35-70 f3.5 macro. I've moved over to full frame and got a 5DIII, so most of the good shots I throw in here will be from that. I've got a collection of super vintage, legacy lenses like; Voigtlander, Nikkor ais, Yashica, and I guess the next step is to try a few of the more modern lenses that don't suck. 
MarcV said:
This is running way out of hand... those baccatums are such fast growers! :shocked:
That's all the room and lighting I have available, and it's way too early to put them outside... Not sure how I'm going to manage...

The little aji lemon drop is the second plant from the right, front row :)

20170126%20181715%20DMC-LX100%2016.50mm%20f2.80%20ISO200%20P1000924.jpg

Those T8 lamps are grolux lamps that emit pink light by the way. I adjusted the white balance to make the picture look more natural.

Looks like you might need to concentrate/reflect some light and move it up somehow. Or like others have said....prune :(
PaulG said:
I'd say now is a good time!
Yep!

PaulG said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_4751.JPG
Are you kidding?! Those look awesome. They may be some of the furthest along in here so far. Im only showing the third set of leaves today. 

PaulG said:

attachicon.gif
IMG_4751.JPG

Scissors it will be, and larger pots as much as possible (they are now in small 1L pots), and some reflecting foil :)
I never intended to grow this many plants in the first place but it's so hard to choose which ones to grow and which not to. Last year I only grew 5 plants and that was actually enough. Now I'm at 13 plants, with the largest being the bisshops hat closely followed by the aji cito.

Pepper-Guru said:

That shot I took with my GH3 and a Minolta MD Zoom 35-70 f3.5 macro. I've moved over to full frame and got a 5DIII, so most of the good shots I throw in here will be from that. I've got a collection of super vintage, legacy lenses like; Voigtlander, Nikkor ais, Yashica, and I guess the next step is to try a few of the more modern lenses that don't suck. 

I don't think I'll ever go full frame although I'm convinced about the quality. I actually tend to steer away from shooting the reflex camera... too bulky! :D although the results are usually better.
Most of my shots are done with my Lumix LX100. I would love to shoot with a fujifilm X100T (or the new X100F) but that's a bit pricey at the moment...

Anyway... back to the lemon drop! :)

Not sure if this is a transplant issue from separating the seedlings and cutting close to the roots or over feeding with seed nute solution ?

I have a couple others doing it as well but not to this degree.

Here's both of the LD's as of this morning.....will have to watch closely.

Back