contest Growdown Throwdown 2017 Aji Lemon Drop!

Thank you Devv! Thank you Dennis!

Well...It's probably 4 years since I've grown Lemon Drop and it feels like that old friend I should have contacted so many times. I was about to write that letter when... well Dennis posted on the CG forum with surplus seed from Devv to share. Frankly, that seemed like divine providence. Haha!

2 plants is the plan. One in a very shallow but wide flood and drain hydro, the other in a 20 litre beer barrel dwc. If there's a third it may slip into my aquaponic growbed though I wouldn't expect too much from that one.

So hey, I ran down the platform and just grabbed the train as it left the station. Very happy to be aboard! :P

Still haven't thrown seeds into the germ station yet...

but I did mix up some seed starting mix, filled three 72 cell trays and let them sit out in this rain drizzle for two nights. Constant rain water filtering through :) Just brought the trays inside and put them in the germ station. Letting them heat up now.

Really loving seeing everyone's germ methods! Keep it coming with the pics!
I'll get going here soon, life's been crazy busy lately!

stettoman said:
So PG, can I assume that you have assumed the mantle of record keeper? Have you calculated our ranks?

This is my first "contest" as a gardener. Pardon any perceived ignorance.
When I get seeds wet and warm, I'll snap a few shots, read back through the thread and take roll of everyone that said they are in. I'll update the original post with the contestant list

Scuba_Steve said:
20170101_194854.jpg

They went in a few hours ago.

Trying 2 methods of propagation on many of my seeds.  Both use a very mild peroxide solution.  Top is just sitting in wet perlite.  Bottom is the paper towel method.

LOL.  I don't know quite where the notion came from, but my first thought was, "He's soaking them in ammonium nitrate?  WTF?   :confused: "   :D

12 in rock wool cubes incubating away :dance:

Grass Snake said:
If I start seeds now, I'm afraid it will be sad and stunted plant by the time its ready to go outside. Anybody else waiting for this reason or should I start now? I never grew baccatum
I was thinking the same thing. Worst case senerio, I start again. Not planning on winning, let alone being in the top. Just good fun for me.

Have you ever seen Rich's plants. Got some mighty big shoes to fill. Literally. Like 50-70gallons. LOL!

This competition gave me an excuse to get obsessive. Loven it.

OCD Chilehead said:
I was thinking the same thing. Worst case senerio, I start again. Not planning on winning, let alone being in the top. Just good fun for me.

Have you ever seen Rich's plants. Got some mighty big shoes to fill. Literally. Like 50-70gallons. LOL!

I like your idea. I'll start a couple now and some later if needed.

You never know Chuck, you could win this thing. Is it altitude that gives you a disadvantage?

Grass Snake said:
I like your idea. I'll start a couple now and some later if needed.

You never know Chuck, you could win this thing. Is it altitude that gives you a disadvantage?
No, the altitude is not the bad part. Can't get anything outdoors until mid May. Season ends in October. 5 months to work magic. I've learned some tricks along the way.

Start early indoors and as Rich says "Feed the Soil". This year I will have a hoophouse. It's 12x20ft. Everything will be under shade cloth most of the year. If it's not the hail, it's the intense Sun. It stays in the 90's all Summer. Dry heat. Not to mention the swarms of grasshoppers. LOL!

It's all fun though.

Hi guys as usual I'm late to the party!thanks to Dennish for bringing this to my attention and devv for setting up this little game as soon as my seeds arrive from Dennish they'll be straight into the propagator. Good luck all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grass Snake said:
If I start seeds now, I'm afraid it will be sad and stunted plant by the time its ready to go outside. Anybody else waiting for this reason or should I start now? I never grew baccatum

OCD Chilehead said:

OCD Chilehead said:
No, the altitude is not the bad part. Can't get anything outdoors until mid May. Season ends in October. 5 months to work magic. I've learned some tricks along the way.

Start early indoors and as Rich says "Feed the Soil". This year I will have a hoophouse. It's 12x20ft. Everything will be under shade cloth most of the year. If it's not the hail, it's the intense Sun. It stays in the 90's all Summer. Dry heat. Not to mention the swarms of grasshoppers. LOL!

It's all fun though.

Well...anyone with a good light and the right temps indoors can get some fruits before, at least, my plant out date in late May early April I'd imagine  ;)

By then, I'd imagine that plant would be a decent size for pulling out for some hardening off. Hell, if you planted in a large enough container when you pot up, you wouldn't even need to transplant! 

Then bring it in before first frost and **cough** battle aphids and continue harvesting  :P under that light...

Lots of ways to skin a cat. 

I'm going through after posting this and making a list of everyone in or saying they are in. Adding the list to the original post. If anyone sees any edits, let me know via pm. 

I'm in the soil. Here's to a good season folks! 

31962531491_6fcdc3149f_b.jpg

Back