• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

growing bhut jolokia's in arizona

I have some bhut jolokia's going right now that are pretty well established-6-8 inches tall. I have them in window that gets them 6-7 hrs of sun. I was going to put them out in a week or so til the middle of may and then once it gets over 94 where the pollen goes sterile i will bring them back in over the summer in a window that gets 6- -8 hrs of sun. What do you think of this idea- i know from experience that once its in the high 90's they stop producing fruit til we cool down. Any ideas would be helpful -- thanks--- allen

allenstu said:
I have some bhut jolokia's going right now that are pretty well established-6-8 inches tall. I have them in window that gets them 6-7 hrs of sun. I was going to put them out in a week or so til the middle of may and then once it gets over 94 where the pollen goes sterile i will bring them back in over the summer in a window that gets 6- -8 hrs of sun. What do you think of this idea- i know from experience that once its in the high 90's they stop producing fruit til we cool down. Any ideas would be helpful -- thanks--- allen

Well you will have to harden them off twice. Once before you take them outside and then again when you bring them back in. I am concerned that 6-8 hours may not be enough but I am no expert. Hopefully the other guys will be able to help you out. I do like your idea of bringing them into a cooler environment when it gets too hot but I also think you may need some supplemental lighting.

First off, welcome to The Hot Pepper!

I would say that 6 hours of sunlight is the absolute minimum to get fruit production. You might have to get some artificial lights for indoors. Also remember it's not so much the daytime high temperatures that are the problem, it's the nighttime lows. If it doesn't get below 75 or 80F, you're going to see a lot of blossom drop.

well i can get them into the front area of the house where they will get 7-8 hrs direct light. The night time temps can be to where its above 80 at night. I just am trying to figure the best way of doing it. I do have a 400 watt metal halide light but with as much sun as there is here that seems a little excessive when there is so much light here. I just know that once it goes above 95 there will be no fruit because of the pollen going sterile.

Oh poo, I get plenty of peppers when it gets to 100F outside as long as it cools off at night. You'll get some flower drop, but it's not like everything goes sterile with high daytime temps.

The problem is by the middle of June we are in the 105 degree area and by july 110. Nothing grows well in those temps. I tried habanero's last summmer and nothing would bloom in the summer. I think 6-8 hrs direct light inside plus a couple hrs indirect should be plenty. R there any other az growers out there that came chime in?

Back