• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing Chiles in HEL - 2020

So this is it folks, I've recovered my password and bought 10 seedlings today from Jukka "Fatalii" Kilpinen. Didn't start any of my own seeds due to laziness, though I still might start some to sell.

Pubescens
--------------
3 x Rocoto Marlene
2 x Big Brown
1 x Mini Rocoto
1 x Costa Rica

Annuum
---------------
1 x Jalapeno Early

Baccatum
------------------
1 x Lemon Drop

Chinense
-------------------
1 x Fatalii

Photos coming tomorrow when I clean the junk out of my sauna and establish the grow room again.

Since the recirculation drip system was not working out too well, I made some changes to the room and also repotted the plants into coir. Gave them a nice healthy dose of Canna Coco nutes. And now, I see that a few leaves on some of the plants have withered up and died overnight. They didn't like being transplanted, or didn't like having nutes poured on them with the huge watering can. Anyway, this setup now is much easier to deal with.

60901021998__4DADA585-930C-4972-8A0C-6D4A89660820.jpeg

Forgot to add, this is how roots look after being in drip with Canna Rhizotonic added for 1 week. They were in really sad state when I put then into the pebbles a week ago - thin, fragile hairs and barely any roots at all.

Look at this

IMG_2364.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

Oops, now I know why the leaves were dying this morning - nute burn. I did a serious miscalculation yesterday and didn't test it with my EC meter. Plants are in pretty bad shape now (except for the Early Jalapeno, oddly enough). I did a heavy flush of the coir 3 times already, then mixed up some water and Rhizotonic. Canna claims that Rhizotonic can save the lives of nute-burned plants, so I am giving it a test. Already poured a bunch into the rootzones after flushing and also did a few foliar feedings and will do a few more today.

Now we are gonna see if this shit works for real. These plants have suffered disaster after disaster! Never had such a bad grow in my life. Still, I am guessing they will recover.

THe ProVen Winner in SAVing PLAnTS!
RHIZOTONIC® contains revolutionary oligosaccharide chemistry, a high quality saccharine that is a proven winner to save stressed plants due to transplanting, over and
under watering, root sickness, moulds, root burn, over-fertilising, root pruning and re-potting. Stressed plants suffer root death, which results in slow growth, damaged flowers, reduced yields and reductions in fruit size and development. So when your plants
are feeling stressed, reach for RHIZOTONIC® to trigger explosive new growth immediately, within several hours in some cases, saving you weeks of valuable time in the process.

Those roots are just monsters!

You have had your fun so far
this season, Mika.

Soldier on, brother! 

PaulG said:
Man, that SST is something I need to try this summer.

I soaked 1/4 cup of alfalfa seeds in a glass bowl full of water for 12 hours, then poured then through a fine-mesh sauce strainer, put some fresh water in the bowl and set the strainer on top of the bowl with a wet towel on top if it. Lifted the towl and sprayed water a few times a day, also rewetted the towel. Took about 4 days to have a large batch of sprouts ready.

podz said:

I soaked 1/4 cup of alfalfa seeds in a glass bowl full of water for 12 hours, then poured then through a fine-mesh sauce strainer, put some fresh water in the bowl and set the strainer on top of the bowl with a wet towel on top if it. Lifted the towl and sprayed water a few times a day, also rewetted the towel. Took about 4 days to have a large batch of sprouts ready.
Thanks for sharing that, Mika.

I looked at alfalfa seeds on line and was
surprised at how much they cost.

Good news, the chilis are gonna survive. They lost some leaves due to the overdose, but there is also a lot of new healthy growth coming out and fast due to the several Rhizotonic foliar feedings I gave them over the past few days. I don't think I will dare feed them anymore for a week or two... Plus they seem to really be digging it after I raised the light up to 30-36 inches.

Didn't deal with the alfalfa today, probably gonna do it on Friday evening.

IMG_2372.jpeg

IMG_2373.jpeg

Been catching up, seems like you have had your hands full sorting out the new toys.

It's all good and you will have it down soon. Next year will be a breeze. I'm reasonably sure once your plants acclimate to the new grow light that they will able to handle 16"s distance as they grow towards the light.

I looked that light up, and it has a dimmer? Now that's cool! As for timers. The ones I use plug into the electrical outlet and then I have a computer power strip inline so I can have the lights and fans on the timer, see below for an example.

https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Mechanical-3-Prong-Accurate-Christmas/dp/B00MVEMD76/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=WvU9J8n-yrP2jtfhw9D.ew&hsa_cr_id=5615137610801&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

With all the indoor growing, do you ever experience humidity issues in you home? I ask because last year the 24x8' room I start plants in (outside in the shop) had some mold issues.

Those roots look good!  I looked up the Canna Rhizotonic and it says it's good for soaking seeds for better germination.  Have you tried that?

Devv said:
Been catching up, seems like you have had your hands full sorting out the new toys.

It's all good and you will have it down soon. Next year will be a breeze. I'm reasonably sure once your plants acclimate to the new grow light that they will able to handle 16"s distance as they grow towards the light.

I looked that light up, and it has a dimmer? Now that's cool! As for timers. The ones I use plug into the electrical outlet and then I have a computer power strip inline so I can have the lights and fans on the timer, see below for an example.

https://www.amazon.com/BN-LINK-Mechanical-3-Prong-Accurate-Christmas/dp/B00MVEMD76/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=WvU9J8n-yrP2jtfhw9D.ew&hsa_cr_id=5615137610801&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

With all the indoor growing, do you ever experience humidity issues in you home? I ask because last year the 24x8' room I start plants in (outside in the shop) had some mold issues.

These plants will all go outside between 4-6 weeks from now. They might be able to handle the light a bit closer but not now when they are recovering. After they go outside, I am going to keep on growing some indoor chilis there so not waiting for "next season" !

The light itself doesn't have a dimmer, but it is dimmable. The power supply that comes with it has a POT built in (to the underside of the PS, mind you), but now when the PS is mounted on top of the heat sink with screws it's a bit difficult to get to the POT :-) What I might do is disconnect the PS and connect it back with some meters of wire in between so that I can actually let the PS sit on the shelf or mount it on the wall. Then it would be relatively easy to adjust the POT.

I do my indoor growing in our sauna, since the 3-phase cable going to the sauna heater has a short somewhere inside the cement walls and so I just keep the circuit flipped off and don't even think about actually using the sauna. That said, sauna has a fresh air input pipe that comes from outside and also has an exhaust vent. I have a 280m3/h UFO fan connected to the exhaust vent. Also a wall mounted 45w fan blowing all the time toward the plants. So far, zero humidity issues - in fact, the humidity is likely too low but haven't been bothered to measure it yet - might do so later today.

Tybo said:
Those roots look good!  I looked up the Canna Rhizotonic and it says it's good for soaking seeds for better germination.  Have you tried that?

I read that also, but haven't tried it yet as a means of chemical scarification. Might do some experiments later after I get other things sorted out.

One thing I have noticed - using it for foliar or root feeding, it causes side shoots to aggressively appear. Normally with rocotos, I haven't witnessed that sort of thing until they've been outside for about two months. Two weeks now of Rhizotonic applications and these chilis have shoots coming out of every single node on the plant. It is pretty expensive stuff and might not be all that different than liquid kelp - need to do an experiment later when I get time (and buy some kelp).

Back