• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing Chiles in HEL - 2020

So this is it folks, I've recovered my password and bought 10 seedlings today from Jukka "Fatalii" Kilpinen. Didn't start any of my own seeds due to laziness, though I still might start some to sell.

Pubescens
--------------
3 x Rocoto Marlene
2 x Big Brown
1 x Mini Rocoto
1 x Costa Rica

Annuum
---------------
1 x Jalapeno Early

Baccatum
------------------
1 x Lemon Drop

Chinense
-------------------
1 x Fatalii

Photos coming tomorrow when I clean the junk out of my sauna and establish the grow room again.

Inoks said:
How are you planning to harden your plants when put outside. I have The same situation in same conditions in 4-6 weeks too.

I am already planning to buy some UV grow lights to add to the sauna. This would completely eliminate the need to harden for sunlight. Most years, finding the time to harden for sunlight is a real problem due to the work schedule but this year as I am working from home I might just put them outside and start moving them in and out of the shade every few hours. Still plan to get a few of these lights, though.

https://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/blog/the-easy-and-cheap-way-of-adding-uv-light-for-plants

You can also reduce the need to harden for wind by using a fan and also supplementing with e.g. silicon+ or silicon max, etc.

The way to prevent the need to harden for cold is to ramp up the EC before putting them out for the nights. The more salt a plant contains in it's cells, the less likely the cells are to burst from freezing because you lower the freezing point due to increased salinity. This is what I normally do every year.

I will get some photos of my chilis today and show how they are doing now, several days after I accidentally fed them with almost a triple dose of nutes and almost killed them. They are recovering rapidly now, very probably saved by the Rhizotonic.

podz said:

I am already planning to buy some UV grow lights to add to the sauna. This would completely eliminate the need to harden for sunlight. Most years, finding the time to harden for sunlight is a real problem due to the work schedule but this year as I am working from home I might just put them outside and start moving them in and out of the shade every few hours. Still plan to get a few of these lights, though.

https://www.onestopgrowshop.co.uk/blog/the-easy-and-cheap-way-of-adding-uv-light-for-plants

You can also reduce the need to harden for wind by using a fan and also supplementing with e.g. silicon+ or silicon max, etc.

The way to prevent the need to harden for cold is to ramp up the EC before putting them out for the nights. The more salt a plant contains in it's cells, the less likely the cells are to burst from freezing because you lower the freezing point due to increased salinity. This is what I normally do every year.

I will get some photos of my chilis today and show how they are doing now, several days after I accidentally fed them with almost a triple dose of nutes and almost killed them. They are recovering rapidly now, very probably saved by the Rhizotonic.
Thanks for that info!
My initial plan was to use double freeze cloth(hallaharso) and then remove first layer and then the second.

Lähetetty minun Nokia 8.1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Flower Power UVR8 Lamps are a supplementary light source with an entirly unique spectrum, that when added to the growing environment provide a list of responses that are very beneficial to the indoor grower.
Benefits include: Boosting resins, oils, terpenes and flavonoids. Killing Powdery Mildew and other types of moulds. Killing and suppressing soft shelled insects, including spider mite, thrips and aphids.

Yes, they can kill aphids!

Some pics of the plants I almost killed last weekend. Still in a bit of a poor condition, but they are recovering rapidly with the help of Rhizotonic foliar feeding only and a really good lamp. I had to remove over half the leaves from every plant. That's never a bad thing, anyway, helps the airflow, etc.

Look at how purple the stems are (nitrogen overload)!

IMG_2377.jpeg

IMG_2378.jpeg

IMG_2379.jpeg

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2382.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2384.jpeg

PaulG said:
Lateral growth looking good, Mika!

Thanks, Paul.

2-3 weeks before these babies go outside so I've still got plenty of time to stabilise them indoors. I am positive that they will produce crop and a lot of it, brother.

Nothing really prepares one for a lamp I have now. I bullshitted myself 18 ways til Sunday that "this is just a lamp", and it burned my babies badly, multiple times. Then the nute overdoses. Spiraling out of control, from bad to worse. I am not one who really goes by instructions, although I do read them, rather by feeling. Once I get the feeling how all this new equipment works together then I will control it - until then, it controls me.

Taking a break - in negotiations to get a new dog. A third dog to our pack. Not an ordinary dog, mind you, but a dog that is so full of attitude that even Jesus can't see straight.

Great looking dog!  Is that the actual dog or just the breed?  Don't know all the breeds well, so "terrier" is about as specific as I can get with a guess.  Seems like a strong little guy and with a bit of broadness in the face.

Would love to have a dog again myself, but it's not in the cards right now.

CaneDog said:
Great looking dog!  Is that the actual dog or just the breed?  Don't know all the breeds well, so "terrier" is about as specific as I can get with a guess.  Seems like a strong little guy and with a bit of broadness in the face.

Would love to have a dog again myself, but it's not in the cards right now.

That's the boy himself. He's a Mini Bull Terrier. Mr Egg Nose. Mr full of attitude. Mr Clown Ass. Mr Attitude.

Devv said:
I was thinking some sort of Bull Terrier. I didn't know they had a mini. I love the tenacity of Terriers; we have 3 dogs, a Rat Terrier, and 2 Blue Lacy's.

Guess who's the queen bee?

We have a jack russell and an andalusian ratonero bodeguero. Both terriers. I'm a terrier person, wouldn't have anything else :-)

Your queen bee is a rat terrier :-) Photo?

Here's Pudding, the rat, and Charli.

173.jpg

Pudding was 10 in December, Charli is 5, we have Charli's sister (Marli) as well. The Blue Lacy dogs were bred as Hog dogs in the mid to late 1800's. They have Grey Hound, Coyote, Black Cur, and who knows what else. They can run all day in the Texas heat and never lose stride. Pudding is a really cool dog. If she smells a rodent in a wood pile she won't leave until she gets it. Sometimes I see her sit there whining for 2 days trying to get it. Then I "help"...LOL

I had to look up the andalusian ratonero bodeguero, kind of looks like a taller Rat Terrier. I had a really nice Pitt Bull 35 or so years ago. Such a smart and gentle dog. She used to wait for the kids at the bus stop every afternoon.

Devv said:
Here's Pudding, the rat, and Charli.

Pudding was 10 in December, Charli is 5, we have Charli's sister (Marli) as well. The Blue Lacy dogs were bred as Hog dogs in the mid to late 1800's. They have Grey Hound, Coyote, Black Cur, and who knows what else. They can run all day in the Texas heat and never lose stride. Pudding is a really cool dog. If she smells a rodent in a wood pile she won't leave until she gets it. Sometimes I see her sit there whining for 2 days trying to get it. Then I "help"...LOL

I had to look up the andalusian ratonero bodeguero, kind of looks like a taller Rat Terrier. I had a really nice Pitt Bull 35 or so years ago. Such a smart and gentle dog. She used to wait for the kids at the bus stop every afternoon.

Awesome :-) I love dogs!

Ratonero is a mix of fox terrier, jack russell, dalmatian and bull terrier. He has the speed and power of a bull terrier but he completely lacks attitude of any sort - the little jack russell girl half his size kicks his ass on a regular basis.

Back