Growing chillies in New Zealand

FarmAway said:
There's a big hoo-hah at the moment because the NZ government is proposing a 'Fart Tax' for cattle farmers because of all the methane that comes out of their bottoms!

They burp a fair amount, too. Sorta like, guys, aren't they?

In chilli-related news, some are starting to turn red - and yellow! A couple of the golden cayennes I thought I'd baked to death must have survived, lots of thick, long chillies that turn from pale green to lemon yellow.

I'm going to spend this weekend pickling chillies and chilli pickled onions to sell at the gate.

Cayennes are tough plants! I'm glad you're getting some harvest, though. Did you ever figure out what was causing the holes in your peppers?

How did I miss the cow discussion, I must be loosing my touch. Tax the hell out of those evil creatures. Maybe people won't have them anymore and we'll all be much safer...beware the ides of moo...

FarmAway said:
Hmm Boags - there's not a day I don't wake up and feel I'm so lucky, lucky, lucky! Land prices are still low-ish here in Godzone. We're 16km from the outskirts of Christchurch - NZ's third largest city - and 35km from the city centre, and our 11 acres of land (without buildings) is valued at NZ$200,000 - that's about 66,000 of your Great British pounds.

Tell me about it I'm an Aussie living in Ol' Blighty and getting just about sick of paying a mortgage on a cupboard that would buy me my own island at home!.

Pam said:
Yeah, lucky, innit!

Ain't it their job to push them out, our job to breathe them in... ;)

I'm making some signs for our roadside stall tonight, will be putting bags of chllies out in the morning at $12 per kilo... they're selling for $40 per kilo at the supermarket, but I figure farm gate sales should be a bargain.

Ol' Blighty, tell me about it (property prices). The wages are much lower here mind, but blimey I can't believe how much even a cardboard box in the gutter costs over there now.

The holes are still a mystery, but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with humidity. Our friend showed them to his seed importer mate, who felt it was fungal - blamed the hay we're storing at the far end of the tunnel house. Next year I'll select chillies that thrive in hot and humid conditions and the hay will be gone (the cattle will be in our freezer :lol: ) I'm looking forward to getting out my seed catalogue soon and planning next year's crop.

Back