• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

growing Chinese chilis (annums) on the stoop

Hi guys, I finally took some pictures of my "garden," which is a small urban stoop that I have overflowing with chilis.

Here's my gallery.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100803078451147.1073741825.604146&type=1&l=356b0c6012

What started as a rather desperate solution for difficult-to-find cooking ingredients for Sichuanese food turned into a quest for every variety of one kind of pepper - the facing heaven chili (朝天椒). I'm up to 9 different kinds, with 3 more on the way.

I've been growing for a few years and have a system which works best for me:

1) promix
2) grow bags (grocery eco bags make the most sense $)
3) tomato-tone

It's not the cheapest way, but it works wonderfully for me!

My stoop only gets about 3 hours of direct sun per day, so I start early indoors to get a jump start, which is just enough to get a decent harvest.

I'm grateful for the support of this board, so feel free to ask me any questions.

Very nice.  Peppers are such great plants for this sort of thing, the container garden in an "ungardenlike" space.  I used to see a lot of curbside pepper gardens when I was travelling in Asia regularly, though not *quite* this expansive.  (That staircase by itself would be the biggest yard in the neighborhood in most parts of Tokyo or Seoul!)

-NT

Here's a pic of a recent harvest, mid-drying:
http://postimg.org/image/tsshz6oxl/

The large bulbous ones are peri-peri's facing heaven chili.
The little bulbous ones are the facing heaven/jalapeno cross.
All of the rest are the regular skinny facing heaven chili from chili pepper Pete.
That's all from that plate.

But I've also tasted my first pods on some of the new varieties (not pictured yet) and can review:

demon red - a little bit weird flavor, but not bad (nor soapy as I've read) - pretty spicy too, I'd guess somewhere around 40,000 SHU
Superchili / super chili - not spicy! Huge surprise to me... only a hint in the center of the placenta.
facing heaven chili - not spicy! This was expected, but not to this degree - if I hadn't rubbed the placenta around on my tongue, I wouldn't have noticed any spice. Good color and flavor though! So I'm happy.

Back