• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

container Growing in containers - separation

Hello.

For this season i was thinking about growing some varieties in a large container instead of individual pots. The container size would be aproximately 60cm wide for 2m long. My initial idea was putting 2 rows of plants, maybe in 4 or 5 columns. I was thinking also about using the 'clumping' technique (grow some plants very close to each other, or even twist their stems together) to increase the number of plants.

However I have no idea about if it is a good idea, about how much separation put between plants, how many plants per pot, etc. Any help is appreciated.

A common myth is cross-polination. Sure, it happen's. But if peppers are self-polinating, how is cross-polination a garauntee?
As far as spacing goes, even with clumping, I wouldn't go any farther than 45-46 cm's. Kinda the same reason why we pluck all seedlings, except for one, in every seedling pot in a tray. It promotes better health for the individual plant.

A common myth is cross-polination. Sure, it happen's. But if peppers are self-polinating, how is cross-polination a garauntee?
As far as spacing goes, even with clumping, I wouldn't go any farther than 45-46 cm's. Kinda the same reason why we pluck all seedlings, except for one, in every seedling pot in a tray. It promotes better health for the individual plant.

What he said...

for starters you should decide what results you are after
then figure how to get there from here

it is cool to try "quirky" techniques and all, but
you may be better off using "mainstream" principles for the
majority of the project

i have limits to space available as am in the city
so i surely have to be clever with my spacing

i also have a two story building right
next to my primary grow area and have to be
careful of positioning in relation to that
try to get the most out of your situation
and be sure to leave some room for "experiments"

Well, this will be my first "serious" growing season. The last year the results were very poor: my best was 5 pods from a single plant, and I had plants with no pods at all. So if i can get at least some pods from each of my plants I would be pleased.

EDIT: I am not particularly concerned about cross-pollinating, if i want to get for sure some "pure" varieties i will manually pollinate them. In fact i think i will try to produce some hybrids...

Just be aware that manually pollinating does not guarantee trueness, there are better ways IMO

And what ways are those? these peppers are for personal usage, so i don't care TOO MUCH about 'pure trueness'. However, if i can store some seeds in the process, maybe i will able to trade them later.

Back