• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in perlite

I usually grow chocolate habs out in the field but would like to try my hand at growing them in my greenhouse. I want to grow them in straight perlite and would welcome any advise on this IE. how best to water, nutrient solutions for water, and the bare minimum needed to keep them alive through winter. I live in Virginia so it does get cold in the winter here.

Perlite mix works well in a bucket. easyiest hydroponics out there. I think the guys on those herb forums call them hempy buckets
but its 80/20 perlite/vermiculite
Easy to do drill a hole up about 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket
Fill with mix water out the dust plant your plant.
YOu should collect water in the bottom few inches which act like a reservoir.
water every other day untill the roots hit the bottom of the bucket.
and when watering water untill the water coming out of the hole runs clear

I usually grow chocolate habs out in the field but would like to try my hand at growing them in my greenhouse. I want to grow them in straight perlite and would welcome any advise on this IE. how best to water, nutrient solutions for water, and the bare minimum needed to keep them alive through winter. I live in Virginia so it does get cold in the winter here.
Your basically gonna run this set up hyrdro style. Drip would be best. Hempy Bucket is another nick name ;) Get some decent nutes, a small res, water pump, tubing and fittings. In through the top, out through the bottom into the res, so on and so forth.

Your basically gonna run this set up hyrdro style. Drip would be best. Hempy Bucket is another nick name ;) Get some decent nutes, a small res, water pump, tubing and fittings. In through the top, out through the bottom into the res, so on and so forth.

Are there better nutes specifically for choc habs? I know that the choc hab is a stubborn pepper. When I start these from seeds to be put out, they usually struggle until I get them outside.

Planted a Jonah up the other day with perlite and verm on a drip system... will see how it goes. I'll try and include it into a post of my garden later this year... I only have one arm at the moment and can't really spent much time recording activities right now.

Back