• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing in Upstate NY

Hello I am a new grower in the Upstate NY area. I just germinated some habaneros, Carolina reapers, and brown moruga a to start. One reaper plant has germinated from jiffy pellets I currently just moved the freshly germinated seedling under two lights in a metal dome. One is a 2700k soft white 23w CFL bulb. The other is a 5000k natural daylight 23w CFL bulb. I also have another identical setup in a dome for when the other seedlings pop. My question is about how many plants can I get to good size to go outdoors after the first frost with the two dome setups?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this has already been answered I couldn't find any threads stating exactly what I'm asking.
74a1c56970732a4a5549f91489a8f379.jpg

Welcome to THP. Depending on how far north you are, you may have a real short window for the reapers to ripen.

JamesMiller said:
I'm in the Camden ny area
I have some cousins in Rome NY, but have not been up there in many years. You are pretty far north I would assume your outdoor growing season is from late may to september?

Can you add more lights as they grow? I can't say for sure how many plants your lights will be able to handle.  That really isn't a lot of light but should be fine to get a few started.  The problems will come as the plants get larger and require more light.  As far as growing season I am about 3 hours due west and I've not had any trouble yet.  Been worried a couple times but usually they all ripen in time.

I am looking to get them big enough to transplant into 5 gallon buckets to go outdoors this spring/summer. I have a extra bulb of each. How much more light would be needed to get them to transplant size for the spring/summer?

wow, that's an early start for our outdoor season that comes in late may/june 

if you plan to use only CFL, i would look for a south facing window and once they get better established ( first couple sets of true leaves) move them to the window and use the CFL's to supplement. try to keep the lights as close as possible to the plants to try and stop them from getting too leggy.

twenty said:
wow, that's an early start for our outdoor season that comes in late may/june 

if you plan to use only CFL, i would look for a south facing window and once they get better established ( first couple sets of true leaves) move them to the window and use the CFL's to supplement. try to keep the lights as close as possible to the plants to try and stop them from getting too leggy.
I don't know.  I started mine in like November :P

JamesMiller said:
Thank you twenty for the advice and dang dog man you got a much earlier start than me I hope to get at least some fruits this summer
I start seeds at four separate times through the winter.  Just some thing different I am trying this year.

JamesMiller said:
About how many plants can I fit under one of the two bulb setups till spring hits?
For little tiny seedlings you should be good for as many as you can fit in the enclosure.  As they get bigger you will find you probably need more light.

Im here in Syracuse and each year I start 16 plants under standard 4 ft. shop lights, 4 fixtures, 4 plants under each, normal flourescent tubes, nothing fancy. 
This season I have Peruvian Lightning, Chocolate Habaneros, Brown Morugas, Peach Bhuts, and Reapers. Began germinating last week in December. I'll have them outside by May 20 in 5 gal Lowes buckets and always seem to get good results

heracleummantegazziani said:
Im here in Syracuse and each year I start 16 plants under standard 4 ft. shop lights, 4 fixtures, 4 plants under each, normal flourescent tubes, nothing fancy. 
This season I have Peruvian Lightning, Chocolate Habaneros, Brown Morugas, Peach Bhuts, and Reapers. Began germinating last week in December. I'll have them outside by May 20 in 5 gal Lowes buckets and always seem to get good results

I agree with this statement! I too am from the Syracuse area and when i used soil i had the same type of setup. I must warn you however, every year you will begin to grow, and do more things once you have a successful grow, it's addicting. I now use a mixed setup; Aeroponic, and DWC hydroponic. I have found that i can get 5 - 2 inch netpots per 5 gallon bucket, using 3 buckets per 4ft DIY light fixture. I have also tried using a rubber made container in which i got about 9 - 2 inch netpots per(could have squeezed in 12) while putting 2 containers under a 4ft fixture. I have had some fantastic results taking my hydro plants and transferring them to soil outside. The hydro, and aero give me a major jump start and quicken the whole adolescent stages of growing. By May i have 2-3 ft plants ready to go.

Back