• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

growing light?

hi im new to growing peppers and i am going to grow thai peppers indoors and i was just wondering if a " CORALLIFE ACTINIC F28-T5-BP bulb would work? thanks

im growing them from seeds to full grown indoors so any light recommendations will help. i plan on only growing 4 plants to begin with. i am in the process of building a grow box in my basement! thanks

I am growing some seedlings pretty good with 2 actinic and 2 10K white bulbs. I'm not sure I would be able to grow any pods with these bulbs. These seedlings are going outside next month. I would recommend you get a 6500k bulb for your fixture.

If you plan to full grown your pepper plants, you might need much more "hot" light.
The bulb you have chosen provides 6700K, good to grow plants but not the best choice to come into bloom or to ripen your pods.
You should add some bulb with the right light temperature (2700 - 2100K), besides having a different light cycle.

You guys say you are using actinics to grow peppers? Are these true actinic 03 bulbs? Because honestly, I don't think an actinic would do much for plants.. We use them in the aquariums to provide an off-set to the yellow of a 6500k bulb, and make corals glow with flourescence.. They are like a blacklight bulb, only more bright purple than black.. Not really a bulb with a spectrum I would figure would be useful for land based gardening, its 420nm to 460nm usually, an extremely blue bulb..

I think that's the first time I've seen someone call a 6500K yellow :rofl:

I'm so used to plant lighting that 6500K looks practically like a bright blue to me. Now my 2700Ks... those are yellow.

If you're trying to get pods indoors I highly highly recommend getting a 400+W MH/HPS setup. While T5s can help you bloom and fruit if you do it right, it's easier said than done and most T5 lights won't cut it. For four plants you would need a lot of light from multiple different spectrums.

I'd start with the light you have now (maybe swap out the bulb for a 6500K if you can get one) until they are up to 6-8 leaf pairs and then flip on a MH until you're ready to start fruiting. Then break out the HPS.

Good luck

You guys say you are using actinics to grow peppers? Are these true actinic 03 bulbs? Because honestly, I don't think an actinic would do much for plants.. We use them in the aquariums to provide an off-set to the yellow of a 6500k bulb, and make corals glow with flourescence.. They are like a blacklight bulb, only more bright purple than black.. Not really a bulb with a spectrum I would figure would be useful for land based gardening, its 420nm to 460nm usually, an extremely blue bulb..
plants need blue light for photosynthesis to happen, mainly at 430nm and 450nm. Plants also need red light which is at 640-660nm wavelength.

I'm so used to plant lighting that 6500K looks practically like a bright blue to me. Now my 2700Ks... those are yellow.

If you're trying to get pods indoors I highly highly recommend getting a 400+W MH/HPS setup. While T5s can help you bloom and fruit if you do it right, it's easier said than done and most T5 lights won't cut it. For four plants you would need a lot of light from multiple different spectrums.

I'd start with the light you have now (maybe swap out the bulb for a 6500K if you can get one) until they are up to 6-8 leaf pairs and then flip on a MH until you're ready to start fruiting. Then break out the HPS.

Good luck
6500k is yellow if you put it next to a 10000k bulb or higher. I beg to differ in you saying that he should get a MH and then a HPS. I'm sure he can grow some good chilli's with the right amount of T5 lights. Even in the reef hobby industry T5 has surpassed MH in the last couple of years. Now if you really want to take your lighting to the next level get yourself some LED's or you can make a fixture yourself.

T5's have definitely made leaps and bounds recently in the reef hobby... Energy efficient, bright, and not as hot as MH. The only negative is they dont make the glimmer lines that a point source light does (really only aesthetics in a tank, irrelevant to gardening)

LOL, don't go on a reef forum and look in the lighting forums then! When I started keeping a reef tank, lots of people were using Iwasaki bulbs that were HPS but could run on a MH ballast, and much cheaper to replace the bulb (ever see the price on a good 10k 400w MH? :eek: ) We used a TON of actinics to make the light appear more white or even a blue tint.. I'm used to 10k's, so when I see a 6500k, it just screams yellow at me LOL

My 7200k MH bulb provides both blue and red colors of the spectrum, which explains when I made the switch I had some buds coming in from my plants :) Also I have seen a lot of new growth :)

Back