• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Growing peppers in the north! Hydro all day everyday.

Hi all pepper enthusiasts. 

I live in Scandinavian, or more precisely in Denmark, where unfortunately the weather can be pretty brutal. Ironic we currently have the hottest sommer I can remember. However, I can't rely on the weather all year round, especially because I don't have a garden. 

So I decided to upgrade my old windowsill garden, to a better hydro setup. This way I can grow year round :)
My setup consist of: 
Grow tent: Homebox Vista medium.
Light: Quantum board 260W LED. 
Drip irrigation system with drain to waste. 
Air intake: Black Orchide Ø 150mm
Air circulation: Secret Garden Monkey Fan 30W
Water pump: Micro-Jet MC 450 Oxy Pump
Medium: Rockwool 
The brain of the system is my Sonoff 4channel Pro with this I control everything by my phone, both light timers, water and circulation timers. 

Plants as of 12th July: 
Lemon Drop
Tabasco 
Thunder mountain Longhorn
7pot Primo (seeds from Troy).
Peachgum V3
Numex Vaquero (Jalapeno). 

Then I have a tomato plant and just started some strawberry seeds. 
In the next days im going to start a different tomato plant (Yellow pear) and plant seeds for Bahamian Goat(to replace the Longhorn)!

Now, to the exiting part, pictures! 

First picture is my whole setup. Grow tent, plants and water bucket. 
1.jpg

Next we have a closer look to the plants. 
2.jpg

Here we have the left part of the tent, with the lemon drop, tomato plant and Vaquero, you can also see the circulation fan.
3.jpg

Right side of the tent. With Thunder Mountain longhorn, Tabasco, Peachgum, Primo 
4.jpg

Closeup of the Lemon drop, I just harvested her today. Love this pepper. 
5.jpg

Here is the Scoville King in the tent, the Primo 
6.jpg

My Jalapeño (Numex Vaquero) I hope he produces more later, this is his first set of fruits. 
7.jpg

Thunder Mountain Longhorn. Easily the best producer in the tent (contested by the lemon drop) but most fruits ripen up to be soft with black seeds :/ To be replaced by the Bahamian Goat in the future. 
8.jpg

And my tabasco 
9.jpg

This is my "tools"
10.jpg

Some fitting decoration of the grow room 
11.jpg

And lastly the system all works because of this little box. 
12.jpg

My plan for this Glog is to hopefully grow peppers all year and I have some crossing ideas (Hello mr. Bahamian Goat) im planning to do here as well. Maybe some can assist with future hydro problems as well, as this is my very first time trying to grow this way :)
Here is the first few peppers from today going in the dryer! Along with some Gengish Kahns brain from the freezer. 
13.jpg

Mildfruit said:
Thanks. Im not sure on the specific bacteria. But the leaves had soft water spots on the underside, slowly getting on the top side aswell. After that yellow spots came with stunted growth :/ I have my fingers crossed for you, and can recommend some neem oil :)

Aha, I see, did the spots look a lot like mine?

Neem oil to spray on the plants?

chelicerae said:

Aha, I see, did the spots look a lot like mine?

Neem oil to spray on the plants?

Hmm I can't say its not bacteria, but it does not look like my infection at all. You can see pictures of my infection in my post history. I also had stunted growth. 

Yea, neem oil mixed with crystal soap and water. You can find the recipe on various websites. I gave my peppers a thorough spray once a day for 7 days. That removed all aphids for me :). Just a caution, the smell from the neem oil is... really bad  :P

Im back! 

Its been strange not having to tender and care for the plants for some time. If you're not familiar with my glog, I've had an infection in my grow tent - stunting all the plants. After realizing this, I've had to kill them all of. 

So the first thing I did after deciding which plants to grow, was to soak the seeds in a mild H2O2 solution. After that, my whole tent, and all parts got a thorough cleaning. Hopefully this, and proper management of my tools, will keep a future infection away. 

Skærmbillede 2018-12-27 kl. 16.22.36.png

This ended up being my final five! 

Aji Amarillo, is a classic in the Peruvian kitchen, also I have a thing for orange/yellow peppers.
Fire Flame, is a red cayenne like chili, not too hot but great in thai style pastes. I often buy this to cook with, so why not grow it myself.
Murupi Amarela is a white/yellowish chinense from Brazil. People told me it tastes great, so I guess I'll find out.
Andy's King Bhut Orange Copenhagen. Easily the Scoville king in the tent and only superhot on my list. 
Jamaican Mushroom Yellow is a very funky shaped yellow pepper. Tastes like a bell pepper, with a little heat. 

I am sad to see such a promising grow come to an end, Rasmus.

BLS is a real pain, alright. A couple of seasons ago, I lost
quite a few plants to Bacterial Leaf Spot. One of the things
I read during that episode said that cutting off all the infected
leaves and keeping all the leaf litter picked up around the plants
will help keep it from spreading.  It worked on a some plants,
but only a few. Some of the varieties seemed to be more
resistant than others, and some not infected at all.

Good luck getting the new grow underway. After seeing your
earlier results, I am sure you will have much success!

PaulG said:
Thanks for the kind words!

A quick little update on the growth - 
Billede.jpeg

4 out of 5 plants have sprouted, the late bloomer is the BOC. However I checked last night and the BOC seeds have just now emerged from the seed which makes the germination time for that plant a bit more than 2 weeks. The leading plant is the Aji Amarillo, which is fine with me, as I can't wait to try that variety :D 

Im currently feeding them with flora series, as I think its easier to dose when the nutrition amount is so little. 

Another update! 

2 years ago I received some JPGS seeds from @JuanitosPeppers in a seedswap. My friend grew them, and they were brutally hot! So today I was a bit bored and browsed his webshop (disclaimer: im not affiliated with Juanitospeppers in any way). And of course I ended up buying seeds even tho I have more than enough. After seeing how strong the pods and plant were from my friend, I have very high hopes for these!

I ended up buying these 3, im not sure if im going to plant the reapers, but the pasilla and Biquinho I have to try! 
Carolina Reaper 
Skærmbillede 2019-01-19 kl. 16.20.58.png

Biquinho originally seeded from Brazil 
Skærmbillede 2019-01-19 kl. 16.21.15.png

Pasilla, I convinced myself I needed a brownish pepper for reasons...
Skærmbillede 2019-01-19 kl. 16.21.27.png

And heres a picture of 6 days growth since the last picture in the post above, this time with Andy's king BOC. 
Billede 2.jpeg

Really picking up speed, here, Rasmus  :party:

Everything looks great, the little seedlings are
robust looking.  I am interested in watching how
the grow cubes work over this season. Looks
very clean and convenient. Perfect for indoor
growing!

Good luck going forward, my friend  :cheers:

PaulG said:
Really picking up speed, here, Rasmus  :party:

Everything looks great, the little seedlings are
robust looking.  I am interested in watching how
the grow cubes work over this season. Looks
very clean and convenient. Perfect for indoor
growing!

Good luck going forward, my friend  :cheers:

Im really trying to keep everything clean! Another infection in my plants would be more than annoying :D

Time for an update!
IMG_4247.jpeg

Today this letter finally arrived :D I ordered from juanitospeppers, and he was kind enough to include BBM for free! This increasingly stack of peppers I don't have space for is something I recon we all know how feels  :P

I have soaked the Pasilla seeds in a disinfection solution and planted them soon after! 

IMG_4248.jpeg

Top left: Fireflame is very soon ready for final transplant to a 6x6x6inch grodan block :)
Top right: Aji Amarillo 
Bottom left: Andy's king BOC. Smallest of them all, but also took nearly 3 weeks to germinate
Bottom middel: Jamaican mushroom yellow. Think this plant will go to the windowsill when the sun is planning on coming to Denmark again. 
Bottom right: Murupi amarela. Also going slowly as the other Chinense in the tent. 

I have also ordered a lot of wild varieties! Which is stupid as I don't have space for them. So I only plan to plant one! 

EDIT: Also planted the Biquinho! I must figure out my problems regarding growspace somehow  ;)

CaneDog said:
Looking good MF!  Which of the wilds coming are you most interested in?

I think the c. rhomboideum is the most freakish, but they all have their little quirks that makes them interesting :) 

Time for an update! 

IMG_4303.jpeg

The fire flame (which I think might have been labeled incorrectly) have made its first flowers! Full of pollen, so I expect fruit setting soon. 

IMG_4304.jpeg

Aji Amarillo have also been transplanted and are growing like a weed. I have very high hopes for this pepper! 

IMG_4305.jpeg

From left to right we have the Andy King BOC, witch is struggling a little as I have unfortunately been overwatering it a bit. Hope it pulls through. Next is the Murupi amarela which is growing very slowly.. Lastly the Jamaican mushroom yellow.

IMG_4306.jpeg

My seeds from Juanitospeppers are sprouting, however the pasillo seeds are taking their time and have not germinated. Fingers crossed for next week. 

Within a few weeks I expect the plants to be ready to wired up for my automatic watering system. This will hopefully help with the overwatering issues I tend to have when watering manually  :rolleyes:  :P

Doing cleaning I accidentally pushed one of my plants, so it fell down and broke  :mope:

Here is the stem, after I got it upright 
IMG_4308.jpeg

Here after I tried to making a fix. 
https://imgur.com/a/kLZoLth (is there a way to upload pictures? seems I have hit my limit) 

I don't know if theres anything I can do in order to save it, so my fingers are crossed 

Everything looks great, MF. The Grodan blocks are
very interesting, how do you like them? Any issues
with, or good points about them you could share?

I'm using the small cubes for starting seeds for the
first time this season. For the most part great and I
really like using them. I'm using a 10-15-10 liquid
fertilizer with the seedlings in the cubes. Should I
be using something else?

PaulG said:
Everything looks great, MF. The Grodan blocks are
very interesting, how do you like them? Any issues
with, or good points about them you could share?

I'm using the small cubes for starting seeds for the
first time this season. For the most part great and I
really like using them. I'm using a 10-15-10 liquid
fertilizer with the seedlings in the cubes. Should I
be using something else?

I like them a lot for the following reasons:
Its almost impossible to overwater, as the grodan blocks keeps a near perfect air to water ratio. This is great both for the eager and maybe inexperienced grower, but also for when you have to flush the block. 
Without water, the block is really light in weight. This makes it very easy to determine whether or not you plants needs water by lifting the block. 

They are perfect for starting seeds in, as you are doing. And if one goes the hydro way (as this Glog) then transplanting couldn't be easier. And if you decide you rather have the plant in the ground, you just put the block in the ground :)

Something to look out for: They are prone to getting algae on the top unless you keep light away from the top area. 

Update: 
In my above post, I mentioned one plant that had a 80% cut through the stem. It is somehow still alive - peppers are remarkably tough it seems ;)

If anyone know how I can link pictures when my site limit have been reached, I would love to know :)

Thanks, Rasmus, that is very helpful.

:cheers: Cheers, my friend!

Another update! 

First a sunshine story: 
IMG_4317.jpg

The Andy's King BOC had a tough time in my grow tent. Factors as intense growlight, and properly overwatering made the plant growth stunted, and leaves pointing downward.
So I reduced the light, by putting it by the window and only gave it artificial light for 5 hours a day. I also completely stopped watering it. The plant have responded very well! 

Next, is fruit setting! 
IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4319.jpg

I suspect this might be another type of pepper than fire flame, the seed I used was from a pepper much smaller than fire flame normally is. But the pepper was still delicious so this will only be a naming problem. When its fully mature, maybe someone could identify it for me? :) 

Some of the other plants in the tent after transplanting
IMG_4320.jpg

Jamaican mushroom yellow.
IMG_4322.jpg

Aji Amarillo 
IMG_4321.jpg

And my handicapped plant is still going strong 

Lastly is my watering tubes, they have been thoroughly washed and cleaned for excess salt build up and such. Now they are drying and ready to be installed in the tent in a few weeks :) 
IMG_4323.jpg

CaneDog said:
I've found my current BOC AK (first and only one I've grown) to be a finicky plant to grow indoors. It's doing better now after being moved out from under the T5HO's to the HLG100 LED's.
Glad im not the only one have trouble with this variety. I have mine under a HLG 260W. Im trying to increase the plants "sun" hours a little by the day. Patience is the name of the game sometimes ;) 

Back