• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Growing question - South Florida

I have started my seeds in Nov 2011 for a couple of types of peppers. I have about 20 plants now where it's my first time growing TS Butch T, Fatali, Datil Bhut Jolokia and red 7 pot. I am also growing some Trinidad cherry peppers that I've grown for a couple of years and have produced very well until temps are now 90 plus so I don't expect much from any plants here in south Florida.

The problem is that all the plants are in same pots (5 gals), same soil, same ferts, same location and under shade. The problem is that I got no pods from the Bhut, 2 pods from the Butch T, 3 pods from the fatali, 6 pods from the datil and around 15 from the 7 pot. They all did flower and dropped but the Trinidad cherry peppers produced well under the same conditions right next to it. Some of the plants are 5 feet tall but I cannot figure out what the difference the varities that is needed. I don't overwater on purpose based on what I read here on THP. I use a Botanicare - CNS17, fish ferts , epson salts. I spray foliar and also water roots with all listed on a regular basis. After 7 months of growing, I would expect more that a couple of pods on these large plants.

I would appreciate some assistance from the forum.

Thanks,
Trini

Sounds like you are doing everything right, but the Trinidad Cherries are better adapted to the local climate than the others. I'd bet most of the Carib. types will outperform the others here in So Fl.

We still have lots of growing season left, those Bhuts, Datils, and Fatalii's should be podding like mad in October.

p.s. I'm growing Trinidad cherries next year. ;)

are the Trinidad Cherry's the same as the "Cherry Top"?

Pictures of the others might help, especially what they look like when it's hot out and before watering.

The pic of the cherry pepper, is that just the top or practically the whole plant? I ask because it does not look nearly 5' tall, would not need fertilizer or water at the same rate as a much larger plant.

What is the quantity and rate of water given to the larger plants in the 5 gallon buckets? I suspect you aren't watering or fertilizing enough, big plants in 5 gallon buckets need a lot of attention when it's over 90F. Mine are losing very few blooms at 90F-100F+ being watered 2 to 3 times a day and fertilized once a week with NPK, Cal. and Mag. + the organics already in the soil. If I waited even 36 hours to water, most of the larger ones would be unrecoverable though most aren't 5' tall yet (not counting the bucket height).

Back