• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Solution Review(s)

Once I have started to use this product I will edit this post or reply below with my review.
I was just curious out of my own excitement to every-bodies experience with the following product. It is what appears to be a concentrated fertilizer syrup which is diluted and then poured around the plants roots to give it the best growing ability, be it lacking or having too much, a solution like this used regularly should theoretically keep it all balanced. It appears to be for the newbie or the person who is potentially unsure, which if this is the case it could be suited to many people in their starting days.

http://wildfirechilli.com.au/products/Chilli_Focus_Nutrients-49-1.html

I am excited to try this, but has anybody else had experience with it (good, bad ect.)?

I used Chili Focus last year and really didn't see any benefit. They didn't grow any faster, they didn't look any better and they didn't produce any more pods than the plants that I used just water. So this year, it is strictly water.

Chile focus is just like any other commercial fertilizer with the same ingredients, it just costs more.

It's the name that traps the unwary.

i use the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI), Alaska Fish Fertilizer (5-1-1) is an excellent all-purposeapplication made from 100% seagoing fish emulsion. Alaska Fish Fertilizer is rich in natural nutrientsand the mild formulation guards against fertilizer burn. Great for use on anytype of plant bothindoors and out.

pic

I also used it last year much to the same effect as chilehead70301. I didn't really notice much difference on the plants that I used it on and the ones that I didn't.

I dont use any of those fancy ones, just compost, fish emulsion, kelp

and when needed CalMag Life (for Calcium and magnesium)

Calcium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18%
Magnesium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11%
Fulvic acid as Fulvic 1400™

and Dia Life ( contains Diatomaceous earth )

Silicon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10.8%

Silica . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . >25%
Boron. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.80%
Iron . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.90%
Calcium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 500 mg/L
Total Potassium ............................... . . . 420 mg/L
Magnesium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800 mg/L
Total Phosphorus ................................. . 380 mg/L
Contains Fulvic Acid

Check out my growlog my chillies are growing pretty well with basically a natural diet.

Calcium and magnesium are two of the elements that plants should have in luxury levels throughout their growing life so I dont muck around when it comes to making sure my chillies get the right stuff.

Silicon is the missing link in many fertility programs. This cell-strengthener also plays a role in photosynthesis and acts as a general tonic. Silicon can be a spectacular yield-builder. Recently boron has been identified as a silica synergist

Here is a titbit from an article called The Top 7 Plant Blunders by Graham Sait from Nutritech Solutions. the full article can be read here http://www.nutri-tech.com.au/blog/2010/11/top-seven-plant-blunders/#more-1503

6) Ignoring the Brix Builders

Brix is a measure of dissolved solids within the plant and it is a direct measure of photosynthetic potential. Photosynthesis is the most important aspect of crop production as it is responsible for 95 % of plant growth. The key minerals involved in photosynthesis are calcium, phosphorus, magnesium and boron. We often refer to this quartet as “the big four” due to their critical importance. It is a major blunder to ignore these nutrients and yet over 30% of the thousands of leaf tests we analyse each year, are deficient in all four minerals. Ideally, these minerals should be maintained at luxury levels in the leaf but over one in three tests reveal that all are lacking.

Calcium is directly responsible for the uptake of seven other minerals and boron determines whether calcium does this job. Phosphorus is the main mineral involved in sugar production and magnesium is a phosphorus synergistic. Magnesium is also the centrepiece of the chlorophyll molecule and is to this green pigment what iron is to blood.

The best way to build plant levels of calcium and magnesium is to use high analysis, Micronised Mineral Suspensions (MMS) which deliver the target minerals without the tag-ons associated with calcium nitrate or magnesium sulfate. Even phosphorus can be addressed with this technology, using micronised guano. This ancient bird manure is also an exceptional source of calcium (25 – 30%) and a rich source of plant available silica. Boron is best addressed with soluble sodium borate (Solubor or Dissolvabor) combined with a little humic acid to form a much more stable and effective boron humate.

^^^^ Agree with Sandgroper. I just picked up some guano, worm castings, Humus, Age Old fish & kelp, CalMag+, and some coco coir!! Im gonna make some nice soil and some good tea, mmmm!!

I dont use any of those fancy ones, just compost, fish emulsion, kelp

and when needed CalMag Life (for Calcium and magnesium)

OK SO im new to growing any type of plant. I have a few 3 month old bhut jolokias and i currently feed them once a week and last time i added some tomato fertilizer. Since everyones talking about fish emulsion, ill probably try that instead of the tomato fertilizer. one week mixed with water and the other week just water. Now what i'd like to know is how often to i give them calcium and how much calcium should i give them? Also i have no idea what kelp is. how much of that do I give them and how often?

OK SO im new to growing any type of plant. I have a few 3 month old bhut jolokias and i currently feed them once a week and last time i added some tomato fertilizer. Since everyones talking about fish emulsion, ill probably try that instead of the tomato fertilizer. one week mixed with water and the other week just water. Now what i'd like to know is how often to i give them calcium and how much calcium should i give them? Also i have no idea what kelp is. how much of that do I give them and how often?

Kelp is seaweed and quite often fish emulsions are blended with seaweed so look for a mixed product. For you calcium try giving them a product that has Calcium and magnesium together or get some dolomite and sprinkle onto the soil. I think you can get something called calmag+ over there I presume that that would be balanced with other minerals mixed in in micro amounts as needed.

Cal Mag from Botanicare

Guaranteed Analysis:
Total Nitrogen (N) 2.0%
1.94 % Nitrate Nitrogen
0.06 % Other Water Soluble Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca) 3.2%
Magnesium (Mg) 1.2%
1.2 % Water Soluble Magnesium (Mg)
Iron (Fe) 0.1%
0.1 % Chelated Iron (Fe)
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron EDTA.

Cal mag life from Nutritech

Calcium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20.23%
Magnesium. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9.78%
Fulvic acid as Fulvic 1400™

More convenient and easier to apply than conventional dolomite.
Applicable when nitrates or sulphates are not required (i.e. calcium nitrate or
magnesium sulphate).

Back